Key exchange failure error

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
djdwosk97

Key exchange failure error

Post by djdwosk97 »

So something very strange is going on with my computer and I can't figure out why.

I have two computers with bluray drives, one of the drives is an "Optiarc BC-5540H 101A" and the other is a "PLDS DH-4B1S". I've used MakeMKV multiple times on the system with the Optiarc drive and it works without a hitch, however when I try to use MakeMKV on the system with the PLDS drive I end up with a key has been revoked error. I got this error in 1.9.8 (on an AACSv9 disc) I upgraded to 1.9.9 and got the error again (on an AACSv43 disc) and then I upgraded to 1.9.10 and I got the error again (on an AACSv56 disc). For whatever reason this drive keeps getting locked whenever I've tried to use it with any bluray disc. Could it have to do with the drive being about ten years old? That's the only possible explanation I could come up with, but I can't imagine why that would cause the drive to lock up every time it sees a bluray disc.

I made a post about this once before, but at that point I just assumed I used a disc with an unsupported AACS version and that it was a one-time issue that would be fixed when I upgraded to 1.9.9, but clearly that isn't the case. (The previous thread just for reference of the errors I get: http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14650 )
Woodstock

Re: Key exchange failure error

Post by Woodstock »

If the key has been revoked for a drive, you aren't going to be able to use it for BDs until a version of MakeMKV that has a key NOT on the revocation list is used.

Since MakeMKV has a key that works with AACS v60 (although v61 has been reported "safe" too), that would mean there is a disk in your collection that has AACS v62 or higher. What is your most recent purchase?

But wait - putting in "PLDS DH-4B1S bluray" as a search term on Google, the top hits are "won't play bluray", going back to 2010. And the reviews from when it was a current model (2008/9) listed problems with failure to read any disks after a few months operation. Are you sure the drive hasn't simply failed?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
djdwosk97

Post by djdwosk97 »

Woodstock wrote:If the key has been revoked for a drive, you aren't going to be able to use it for BDs until a version of MakeMKV that has a key NOT on the revocation list is used.

Since MakeMKV has a key that works with AACS v60 (although v61 has been reported "safe" too), that would mean there is a disk in your collection that has AACS v62 or higher. What is your most recent purchase?

But wait - putting in "PLDS DH-4B1S bluray" as a search term on Google, the top hits are "won't play bluray", going back to 2010. And the reviews from when it was a current model (2008/9) listed problems with failure to read any disks after a few months operation. Are you sure the drive hasn't simply failed?
I understand if the key has been revoked it's not going to work, which is why I asked this question now after I've updated from 1.9.8 to 1.9.9 to 1.9.10 and had the key revoked immediately every time (even though I never put in ANY disc that was above the supported AACS).

It's definitely not an AACS issue as I've had a disc fail in the PLDS drive and then works perfectly in the Optiarc drive. Plus the highest AACS I've used is v58.

The drive definitely works because MakeMKV works fine for non-blurays and AnyDVD HD works fine for blurays.

Edit: I sent an email to support@makemkv.com with all the requested information as per your recommendation.
botazefa

Post by botazefa »

I am having this issue too, but on Linux with 1.9.10. Two identical LG sata drives and an usb.

'The Zero Theorem' & 'Lord of the Rings Fellowship if the Ring." both netflix. both look new. oddly, i did return of the king last week, so I guess Zero Theorem?