Disk includes over 400 playlists. Movie is in random order

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Hoggorm

Disk includes over 400 playlists. Movie is in random order

Post by Hoggorm »

Hello,

I have this disk, Alone in Berlin, that I just ripped.

The problem was that it included over 400 different playlists (!)

All playlists appear to "scramble" sections of the movie out of order, except one that is the movie in its correct order. I was able to identify this playlist after hours of work.

The first m2ts file, 500, would play for about 16 minutes. The next sections would be just about 30 sec each but is in completely different order depending on what playlist I rip. There was no different language versions or anything, just random order. Maybe a form for "copy protection"?

MakeMKV.jpg
MakeMKV.jpg (164.05 KiB) Viewed 2269 times

About half of the playlists could be excluded because they where not the correct playtime of the movie.

The other half, I had to go through the m2ts files trying to determine the correct movie order.

The process took a few hours but I was able to rip the correct playlist in the end.

Now I wonder if there could be an easier way to fix this the next time?
Ezatoka

Re: Disk includes over 400 playlists. Movie is in random order

Post by Ezatoka »

With Java enabled, MakeMKV should have tried to find the correct playlist itself.

Other than that, there's a whole thread about the topic with people helping people: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14330
Hoggorm

Post by Hoggorm »

Thank you Ezatoka,

I was not aware of the Java case.

I was under the impression Java was not adviceable to have installed on a computer? Is there a way to keep that as safe as possible?

MakeMKV say this regarding Java: "there is no need to install Java Runtime system-wide - it is possible to install JRE into private location and provide path to MakeMKV". How can I install at a "private location"?

I did install it for now, but not on the main disk and used the java.exe file with MakeMKV.

Now it shows a (T5) playlist that appear to be the correct one.
MakeMKV 2.jpg
MakeMKV 2.jpg (212.03 KiB) Viewed 2249 times
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Hoggorm wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:36 pm
MakeMKV say this regarding Java: "there is no need to install Java Runtime system-wide - it is possible to install JRE into private location and provide path to MakeMKV". How can I install at a "private location"?
Another resource states:

"Personal recommendation: Do NOT install "web integration" or "browser support". It is not needed for the JRE to work with MakeMKV, and it is one less potential security hole when surfing Internet."

- OR -

You could also copy the java folder to %UserProfile%\.MakeMKV (MakeMKV Data dir in Windows), point MakeMKV to THAT location in preferences & uninstall from "official", system-wide location.

note: IMO this approach was more convenient when there was a portable version of Java available.
Hoggorm

Post by Hoggorm »

Thank you d00zah,

I just copied the Java folder to a temp directory, and then uninstalled Java altogheter. Pointing MakeMKV to the temp directory seem to be working well.

:)
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

What I did and tested: I downloaded the .zip file for the latest JDK version 20 and it's working with MakeMKV after pointing it to the java.exe file.

I downloaded from: https://adoptium.net/temurin/releases/

No install at all, just a .zip file to extract (there are also MSI files, but ZIP was enough for that.)