Error copying Shutter Island

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
MacUsers

Error copying Shutter Island

Post by MacUsers »

Hi there,
Using MakeMKV for a while now but first post here. Got a question: Did anyone ever tried coping Shutter Island? Coping is being failed for various reasons. I was keep getting "Bad Disk" error before and now getting IPC error. I tried two different disks and all Shutter Island is the only movie that failing:

Code: Select all

MakeMKV v1.10.4 darwin(x86-release) started
Optical drive "BD-RE TSSTcorp BDDVDW SE-506BB TS00d" opened in OS access mode.
Using direct disc access mode
Evaluation version, 30 day(s) out of 30 remaining
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
< skipped content >
Operation successfully completed
Saving 1 titles into directory /Volumes/Hobo/MakeMKV/Shutter_Island
Error 'OS error - (ipc/send) invalid destination port' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00800.m2ts' at offset '13497532416'
Error 'Posix error - Device not configured' occurred while reading '/dev/rdisk2' at offset '13497532416'
Error 'Posix error - Device not configured' occurred while reading '/dev/rdisk2' at offset '13497532416'
Error 'OS error - (ipc/send) invalid destination port' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00800.m2ts' at offset '13497532416'
Failed to save title 0 to file /Volumes/Hobo/MakeMKV/Shutter_Island/Shutter_Island_t00.mkv
Encountered 11 errors of type 'OS X IPC Error' - see http://www.makemkv.com/errors/ipc/
0 titles saved, 1 failed
Is it actually some sort encryption, which MakeMKV cannot underdtand but interpreting wrongly?

Best,
San
Woodstock

Re: Error copying Shutter Island

Post by Woodstock »

Posix errors are rarely, if ever, encryption-related. They're most often related to disk defects, either scratches or dirt.

Start with cleaning the disk; it's the biggest possibility.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
MacUsers

Post by MacUsers »

Woodstock wrote: Start with cleaning the disk; it's the biggest possibility.
This is the third disk giving error and being failed. It's hard to believe all of them are scratched and it plays just fine from the same drive with Mac Blu-Ray player. Is there anything else I can check to conform?

-S
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

You can try using version 1.10.2, in case you are being caught by the bug Mike is looking at in 1.10.4. Old versions here, if you don't still have the install file: /download/old/

If you rip the disk multiple times, do the errors ALWAYS occur at the same offset, or does it move around? The errors in your log are consistent with a drive having power issues when it gets up to speed, which happens with USB-powered drives that aren't plugged in to a "fully powered" USB port.
MacUsers

Post by MacUsers »

Woodstock wrote:If you rip the disk multiple times, do the errors ALWAYS occur at the same offset, or does it move around?
With Shutter Island, I always get error between 4G to 7G of copy, IIRC. I got the same error for Rio2, as well, saying: Disk is not readable, whilst played just fine from the same drive using some other s/w.

w.r.t. "drive having power issues", just after that, I ripped Inside Out, Avatar and Godfather - all using the makeMKV and went just file. The first 2 Shutter Island were disk reported to be damaged and the third one failed with power issue. I don't believe it's a actually a power issue at all, or damaged disk. My wild guess: There are some sort of errors for sure but MakeMKV is not interpreting correctly.
MacUsers

Post by MacUsers »

Just tried with v1.10.2 - This time it went up to 12G and then gave me the same ipc error :(

-S
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The power issue is a tricky thing to hunt down. I first encountered it with a friend whose USB disk drives went off-line whenever he printed... on his USB-attached (but not powered) printer. The hub he was plugged into couldn't handle the load of talking to all those devices at the same time. When he put the power adapter on, so it pulled power from the wall instead of the computer, all the problems went away.

USB-powered optical drives are wonderful, most of the time. But they can't reach their maximum speed without AT LEAST the full output of a USB port, which is 2.5 watts for USB 2.0. Some won't work without 5 watts, and have a special 2-head cable to get it, like my new LG BD RE drive. But even a two-head cable won't give full power if the two heads aren't plugged into fully-powered USB ports. And some laptops only provide full power to the USB ports when they're running on AC, to prolong battery life.

Different titles rip at different speeds. If a title never gets above 2-4x read speed, you probably won't have an issue. Hit 5x, and it may just as easily shut down on you, mid-rip, giving you a bunch of "device not ready", "invalid destination port", or even "device not found" errors.

Mike has mentioned a possible "rip limit speed" option "someday", but it's been on the to-do list for a couple of years now.
MacUsers

Post by MacUsers »

I think there must be some sort of encryption on Shutter Island that preventing form being copied. I just tried to make a simple copy, no makeMKV involved etc. and that failed as well, pretty much at the same place, after 11G of copying. Cannot be 4 disk or two drive) in a row damaged.

-S
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

MacUsers wrote:I think there must be some sort of encryption on Shutter Island that preventing form being copied. I just tried to make a simple copy, no makeMKV involved etc. and that failed as well, pretty much at the same place, after 11G of copying. Cannot be 4 disk or two drive) in a row damaged.

-S
Actually, it can be four discs in a row damaged. If all copies you've acquired were manufactured in the same lot, a manufacturing defect could exist on those copies which could prevent them from being successfully ripped. I've had this happen to me once; all of the original discs failed to rip and I've yet to have a .mkv file of that specific movie though I know for certain others have been successful at ripping. I finally gave up but may try again at some future date. And no, it was not Shutter Island.

FYI, if you get to the "tree structure" screen, the one that has all the check boxes for titles, audio tracks, etc., then the disc has been successfully de-encrypted.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Have to agree that, yes, more than one copy of a disk can be defective.

I bought the entire Hercules DVD set. One disk of season 5 failed in every drive I own. Cleaned it, still failed in the exact same spot. Exchange it for another box set... Same disk failed in the exact same sport. Ordered up that particular disk through Netflix... it failed in the exact same spot.

Since it was a DVD, I dug out an old Sony portable DVD drive, one of the second generation writers that didn't require a carrier for the disk. It was the only drive that could read that disk, and I had to set the retry count to 25.