My Bluray drive broke

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Octane

My Bluray drive broke

Post by Octane »

I'm running the Linux version of MakeMKV. I was going to rip a bluray disc, but when I tried to read it, I got an error message saying something with "Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST", I can unfortunately not give you the full error message since I can't find any log files for MakeMKV. After this, my drive stopped working altogether, when I boot up my computer, my OS tries to do some sorta soft reset on it, which always fails.

EDIT: I was running v1.10.2 when this happened. MakeMKV is not available in the standard Arch Linux repository, but only in the AUR, so it doesn't update automatically. I have an extra bluray drive, but I just want to make sure I won't break that one too if I try to rip the same disc.

EDIT2: After having read up on this a bit more, I have some more info to give. The drive is an Asus BC-12D2HT. The disc I tried to rip was from 2014, but I've played a more recent disc before without any problems.
annevejb

Re: My Bluray drive broke

Post by annevejb »

"Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST"
When I get this I usually update to the current version by installing the latest version over the old version. But I do not get OS problems when that happens. I use Linux Mint, not Arch.

You having 1.10.2 suggests it is likely to be something else that is causing the problem.

Update after reading Woodstock:
Yes, when I get this message I do typically clean the disk.
Last edited by annevejb on Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodstock

Re: My Bluray drive broke

Post by Woodstock »

If you have debug logging turned on, the location of the log is announced when you start MakeMKV.

Illegal request errors can come from many sources. The most common is something preventing MakeMKV from reading the disk, such as dirt or scratches, but it can come from a drive being damaged (rare), or even the operating system interfering with the key exchange (also relatively rare).
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging