Wide Screen - Cut Off

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
ELRaish

Wide Screen - Cut Off

Post by ELRaish »

I have recently tried ripping some blu-ray discs (Rear Window, Indian Jones) and the resulting files have been closely cropped on the sides - almost like a pan/scan process. Well, under the circumstances I am losing a significant part of the frame. What am I missing here?
Woodstock

Re: Wide Screen - Cut Off

Post by Woodstock »

A bluray uses a 1920x1080. If a film was done at 2.4 ratio, it will be stored as 1920x800 with black bars top/bottom.

When you play it back, your software usually offers you a choice - play it with the black bars, or zoom in to fill the frame. Which choice did you make?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
ELRaish

Post by ELRaish »

The cut-offs were on the sides, not the top and bottom.. The cropping was apparent no matter the aspect ratio chosen..
preserve

Post by preserve »

MakeMKV is a "direct copy" of the video stream, so any cropping that may be happening is not the result of MakeMKV.

This leaves three possibilities that I can think of:

1) Something wrong with the disc itself. Try playing the disc in a normal Blu-ray player and watching it on your TV.

2) If you converted the file after MakeMKV made it, your conversion program could have cropped the file due to settings used.

3) Your playback program. For example, VLC has a "Crop" option (keyboard shortcut C) with a ton of different crop presets for playback.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00