Passengers 2016

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
s-nj-w

Passengers 2016

Post by s-nj-w »

Using makemkv 1.10.5 to rip Passengers and the .mkv file is successfully created, but subsequent use of Handbrake for compression fails
with a read error but with enough information to narrow it down to a chapter number.

Trying to play the original (large) file with VLC gets to the failure point, then rewinds and restarts from the beginning, so there is
some kind of format error with the .mkv .

Trying the same thing with DVDFab BluRay ripper with medium compression works, however a straight 'passthru' (no compression)
to a .mkv file also generates a (large) .mkv file that causes read errors with Handbrake, but at a different place.

Has anyone seen this before and found a workaround ? The 'search' button didn't throw up anything.

Thanks in advance.
Woodstock

Re: Passengers 2016

Post by Woodstock »

It is possible there is an error in MakeMKV 1.10.5. It will help if you try one of the earlier versions, and see if the error is still happening. They can be downloaded here, if you don't have the older install files still on your machine: /download/old/

I have not run into this problem with 1.10.5 files in handbrake, going to several different versions of HB. But that does not mean a problem doesn't exist; it could be one particular stream that triggers it.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
brellyn2

Re: Passengers 2016

Post by brellyn2 »

Wish I could help. I ripped that movie with MakeMKV and then ran it through HandBrake with no issues at all.