Fantastic Fohis is the ur 2 - Rise of the Silver Surfer

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
gregoliver

Fantastic Fohis is the ur 2 - Rise of the Silver Surfer

Post by gregoliver »

I have 2 bluray drives at my disposal. This is the netflix disc. I have returned to Netflix twice for a total of 3 discs. Both of my drives show the exact same thing:

004004:0000 The source file '/BDMV/STREAM/00001.m2ts' is corrupt or invalid at offset 3681120256, attempting to work around
004004:0000 The source file '/BDMV/STREAM/00001.m2ts' is corrupt or invalid at offset 3679025152, attempting to work around
004004:0000 The source file '/BDMV/STREAM/00001.m2ts' is corrupt or invalid at offset 3680598016, attempting to work around
004004:0000 The source file '/BDMV/STREAM/00001.m2ts' is corrupt or invalid at offset 3679025152, attempting to work around
004004:0000 The source file '/BDMV/STREAM/00001.m2ts' is corrupt or invalid at offset 3679092736, attempting to work around

Notice how it goes back to 3679025152 several times before it finally dies.

The offsets are identical every time I try to rip it on both drives. I have no issues backing up any other discs - I usually do over 10 per week. This is the only disc I have ever tried that I have exact reproducible results on separate blurays and both my drives. Has anyone else ever ripped this one successfully?

Thanks

-Greg
yorgo

Re: Fantastic Fohis is the ur 2 - Rise of the Silver Surfer

Post by yorgo »

It's rare but I too have had this happen, with another title. It could be that the batch Netflix has were manufactured in the same lot/at the same time with the same defect. You may want to source the disc from another provider, see if that helps.
gregoliver

Post by gregoliver »

yorgo wrote:It's rare but I too have had this happen, with another title. It could be that the batch Netflix has were manufactured in the same lot/at the same time with the same defect. You may want to source the disc from another provider, see if that helps.
Thanks for the info - just wanted to make sure I wasn't going crazy! I'll go buy it and see what happens.

btw - it plays fine in my PS4 and Samsung player. I guess they have some error correction / block skipping logic. Is there any way to tell makemkv to skip up to x number of bad blockss before quitting that you know of? I cannot find it in any of the options, so I assume not.

Thanks again

-Greg
brellyn

Post by brellyn »

I've had this problem with The Devil's Rejects from Netflix. Five (count 'em 5) disks all failed. Netflix credited my account for 1 month free and I used the money to pick up a retail copy from Amazon which worked fine... and I had some cash left over :)
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

gregoliver wrote:
yorgo wrote:It's rare but I too have had this happen, with another title. It could be that the batch Netflix has were manufactured in the same lot/at the same time with the same defect. You may want to source the disc from another provider, see if that helps.
Thanks for the info - just wanted to make sure I wasn't going crazy! I'll go buy it and see what happens.

btw - it plays fine in my PS4 and Samsung player. I guess they have some error correction / block skipping logic. Is there any way to tell makemkv to skip up to x number of bad blockss before quitting that you know of? I cannot find it in any of the options, so I assume not.

Thanks again

-Greg
Nope, not going crazy.

Correct, standalone players have error correction which will skip bad sections of a disc whereas MakeMKV requires a "perfect" disc or it will "fail" the rip, and there is no provision to change this. I prefer it this way because, personally, I want a bit-for-bit "perfect" copy of the disc, the proverbial getting what you paid for. Also, if bad sectors were skipped, I have no guarantee that my playback systems, hardware and/or software based, would be able to read the content. I'm no engineer but I assume that when "bits" are played back, they need to do so in a specific, predictable manner. If information is missing because MakeMKV bypassed the troublesome area of a disc, would the ripped content then be treated like a corrupted file? Audio dropouts, video fragmenting, or worse, freezing? I assume yes. Anyway, my two cents.