Unable to Open ANY Blu-ray

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Bniz23

Unable to Open ANY Blu-ray

Post by Bniz23 »

I'm having problems getting MakeMKV to open any of my blu-rays. I can get it to rip dvds just fine, and I can watch the blu-ray movies using my disc drive with no problems, but every time I press "Open Blu-ray disc" I see the following:
Using direct disc access mode
Using Java runtime from C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_121\bin\java.exe
Evaluation version, 30 day(s) out of 30 remaining
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:SYSTEM RESOURCE FAILURE' occurred while issuing SCSI command A40..002000800 to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom0'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:SYSTEM RESOURCE FAILURE' occurred while issuing SCSI command A40..002000800 to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom0'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT ESTABLISHED' occurred while issuing SCSI command AD010..080002400 to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom0'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT ESTABLISHED' occurred while issuing SCSI command AD010..080002400 to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom0'
Can't read AACS VID from disc - most likely current AACS host certificate is revoked by your drive
Highest AACS version is v36 , MKB saved as C:\Users\[Username]/.MakeMKV/[Movie Title].tgz (Square bracket sections were changed by me)
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disc
What am I doing wrong?

For reference, here's what I'm using:
Disc Drive: LG UH12LS28 (firmware 1.02 was the latest I could find, says it's from 2013)
MakeMKV version: 1.10.6
yorgo

Re: Unable to Open ANY Blu-ray

Post by yorgo »

"Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:SYSTEM RESOURCE FAILURE" is usually due to a damaged disc. Follow the steps at this link to see if it helps.
https://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopi ... =8&t=15055

If the problem persists after you've tried cleaning/upping retries/etc., what disc were you trying to open when you first noticed the problem? Were you on 1.10.6 or an older version when the problem first became apparent (I ask because an early line reads "Evaluation version, 30 day(s) out of 30 remaining" so it looks like you've just started using the latest version)? Take a look at this older but still relevant post by Woodstock negating the stuff about linux: https://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopi ... 806#p33371
Bniz23

Post by Bniz23 »

yorgo wrote:"Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:SYSTEM RESOURCE FAILURE" is usually due to a damaged disc. Follow the steps at this link to see if it helps.
https://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopi ... =8&t=15055

If the problem persists after you've tried cleaning/upping retries/etc., what disc were you trying to open when you first noticed the problem? Were you on 1.10.6 or an older version when the problem first became apparent (I ask because an early line reads "Evaluation version, 30 day(s) out of 30 remaining" so it looks like you've just started using the latest version)? Take a look at this older but still relevant post by Woodstock negating the stuff about linux: https://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopi ... 806#p33371
I highly doubt it's due to a damaged disc, because two of the movies that I tried to read were brand new. I had literally just sliced open the plastic wrap around the cases, opened them, and put the discs directly into my computer. All of the discs that I've tried are absolutely spotless (no dust, scrateches, etc...) and play without a single issue on my Blu-ray player, my PS4, and even on this very computer when I play them using "Leawo Blu-ray Player".

As for what version I was using, yes it was 1.10.6. Yesterday was the first time I had installed MakeMKV on this particular computer since reinstalling windows a year or two ago. So to my knowledge, there hasn't even been any previous version of MakeMKV installed on this computer before which could be interfering with the version I'm trying to use.

I also read the post you linked, but I'm not seeing anything helpful there unless I'm missing something. I'm on windows, and this person's issue, while similar sounding to mine, appears to be specific to linux, as he's saying he didn't have the problem on windows. Also, strangely enough, according to MakeMKV, the highest version of AACS that it has encountered was v36, which if I'm not mistaken should even work with versions of MakeMKV that were significantly older than the one I'm using. I believe that 1.10.6 should support anything v63 or lower, so I should be well within its capabilities.
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

The older post was meant more as a guide to a possible theory to your problem not meant to confuse with the Linux thing, apologies for that. Having said that, if you started with the latest version of MakeMKV, you should be able to rip most of the latest BDs and certainly older ones. Is this working for you now?

Regarding disc damage, many often mistake a brand new disc as being perfect which they believe is confirmed by playing with no problems on a standalone player or software. Defects created during manufacturing as an example cannot be seen by the human eye but can exist; I've experienced these often enough. A standalone player will use error correction to skip bad areas whereas MakeMKV requires no errors be present in order to rip a disc. Therefore, don't discount a disc may be damaged if you don't see something on the disc or it plays back fine. So, back to your specific issue, if the disc you're trying to back up is damaged in an area that MakeMKV needs to de-encrypt the disc, MakeMKV could display the second set of error messages you're now seeing.
Bniz23

Post by Bniz23 »

yorgo wrote:The older post was meant more as a guide to a possible theory to your problem not meant to confuse with the Linux thing, apologies for that. Having said that, if you started with the latest version of MakeMKV, you should be able to rip most of the latest BDs and certainly older ones. Is this working for you now?

Regarding disc damage, many often mistake a brand new disc as being perfect which they believe is confirmed by playing with no problems on a standalone player or software. Defects created during manufacturing as an example cannot be seen by the human eye but can exist; I've experienced these often enough. A standalone player will use error correction to skip bad areas whereas MakeMKV requires no errors be present in order to rip a disc. Therefore, don't discount a disc may be damaged if you don't see something on the disc or it plays back fine. So, back to your specific issue, if the disc you're trying to back up is damaged in an area that MakeMKV needs to de-encrypt the disc, MakeMKV could display the second set of error messages you're now seeing.
I did in fact start by using the latest version of MakeMKV. The problem has not gone away, it still gives me the same error message(s) when I try to read a blu-ray. As for the damaged discs, I really hope this is not due to damage, as every single one of the blu-rays that I own is exhibiting this behavior. I have tried 10 different discs and not a single one has worked. I'm hesitant to believe that manufacturing defects in blu-ray production are common enough that my entire library is nothing but lemons.
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

I don't believe one damaged disc would prevent MakeMKV from then working on every disc it sees. My point was that damage or manufacturing error in just the right spot could prevent that one disc from being able to be de-encrypted only. As to the rest, I'm going to have to leave it to others to determine the problem, I'm out of ideas, sorry...
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

When I search for the specific error message "ILLEGAL REQUEST:SYSTEM RESOURCE FAILURE", the hits come up with trying to directly access the drive (necessary to do the key exchange), but the operating system blocking those requests.

You mentioned that you play BDs; what software did you install to do this? When I started out, I had BD playback software that I had to remove because it took over all access to Bluray disks. That software had to be removed before I could rip BDs.

Are you running MakeMKV as an administrator? Windows will block access to the hardware if you aren't an administrator. Ripping DVDs isn't affected by this, but BDs as a non-administrator will give you key exchange and other errors.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Bniz23

Post by Bniz23 »

Woodstock wrote:When I search for the specific error message "ILLEGAL REQUEST:SYSTEM RESOURCE FAILURE", the hits come up with trying to directly access the drive (necessary to do the key exchange), but the operating system blocking those requests.

You mentioned that you play BDs; what software did you install to do this? When I started out, I had BD playback software that I had to remove because it took over all access to Bluray disks. That software had to be removed before I could rip BDs.

Are you running MakeMKV as an administrator? Windows will block access to the hardware if you aren't an administrator. Ripping DVDs isn't affected by this, but BDs as a non-administrator will give you key exchange and other errors.

I have "Leawo Blu-ray Player" as well as VLC, but only VLC was installed before I tried makemkv. I installed Leawo after having this issue in order to check that my drive was not the problem. And yes, I have been running makemkv as an administrator.

Last bumped by Bniz23 on Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:33 pm.