Undetermined Audio Language

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
craignan

Undetermined Audio Language

Post by craignan »

Hello,

I'm ripping Sharknado 4 and I'm getting no audio after ripping due to an Undetermined Audio Language. After MakeMKV scans the Blu Ray disc I see that the Language is not found. I found an post from 2009, but it didn't say if it was fixed. I'm not able to get any audio using AnyDVD 16, but can get audio in VLC. Any help would be appreciated.

Type: Audio
Name: Surround 5.1
Language: Undetermined
Codec: DTS-HD Master Audio
Channels: 6
Channel layout: 5.1(side)
Sample rate: 48000
Bits per sample: 24

Flags: Core audio
Name: Surround 5.1
Codec: DTS
Channels: 6
Channel layout: 5.1(side)

Name: Stereo
Codec: Dolby Digital
Channels: 2
Channel layout: stereo
Woodstock

Re: Undetermined Audio Language

Post by Woodstock »

Do you have a preferred language set up in MakeMKV? If so, it will not automatically select languages other than that language.

However, if you expand the title information (click on the triangle next to the title in the left window), you should be able to manually select any track, including ones with indeterminate language information.

Of course, this assumes you have "Expert mode" enabled in Preferences->General.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
craignan

Post by craignan »

Thanks for your reply,

I did have the preferred language set, so I changed them back to 'Auto' and 'None', restarted the app and it still shows undetermined for DTA-HD MA Surround 5.1 and DTS Surround 5.1, but this time they were checked. Tried to rip again, and still no sound in anything other than VLC. Expert mode is enabled.
Woodstock wrote:Do you have a preferred language set up in MakeMKV? If so, it will not automatically select languages other than that language.

However, if you expand the title information (click on the triangle next to the title in the left window), you should be able to manually select any track, including ones with indeterminate language information.

Of course, this assumes you have "Expert mode" enabled in Preferences->General.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV will not add language information to the audio track for you - if your playback software has a language preference set, it will ignore the unknown language.

Tools like mkvmerge can change the language information on tracks. I'm certain that there are ones that will do it without copying the file to a new one, as well, but I haven't worried about it.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
craignan

Post by craignan »

Thanks for you help. I was able to set the language information in mkvmerge from undetermined to English and export the file and it worked.
Woodstock wrote:MakeMKV will not add language information to the audio track for you - if your playback software has a language preference set, it will ignore the unknown language.

Tools like mkvmerge can change the language information on tracks. I'm certain that there are ones that will do it without copying the file to a new one, as well, but I haven't worried about it.
mgutt

Post by mgutt »

Is there a rule that selects "Undetermined" languages? I tried this, but it does not work:

Code: Select all

-sel:all,+sel:(ger|eng|tur|nolang|undetermined),-sel:(core),-sel:mvcvideo,=100:all,-10:ger,+sel:attachment
EDIT: Ok solved it by using the "single" parameter:

-sel:all,+sel:(ger|eng|tur|nolang|single),-sel:(core),-sel:mvcvideo,=100:all,-10:ger,+sel:attachment
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

For me it works with "nolang" as described in the documentation.

What should "single" select? Don't think that this stands for "undefined language". Sure that this is a valid parameter?
Good Luck :)

Post by mgutt »

Grauhaar wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:18 am
For me it works with "nolang" as described in the documentation.
"nolang" did not work for me. I had problems with the Blu-Rays of "Eine fröhliche Familie" and "Georgie":
2019-10-29 11_28_05.jpg
2019-10-29 11_28_05.jpg (27.39 KiB) Viewed 8457 times
I think its because the language is set to "Undetermined" and not to an empty string.

EDIT: Ah ok, regarding MKVToolNix the "language" is "und":
2019-10-29 11_31_46.jpg
2019-10-29 11_31_46.jpg (18.19 KiB) Viewed 8450 times
So this should work, too

-sel:all,+sel:(ger|eng|tur|nolang|und),-sel:(core),-sel:mvcvideo,=100:all,-10:ger,+sel:attachment
EDIT2: Tested. And yes, "und" selects "Undetermined" audio tracks. :)
What should "single" select? Don't think that this stands for "undefined language". Sure that this is a valid parameter?
Its not documented, but it works. "single" seems to mean "Select audio track, if only one exists". "single" should be part of the default rule:
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14692

EDIT3: This is my final rule, now:

-sel:all,+sel:(ger|eng|tur|und|nolang|single),-sel:(core),-sel:mvcvideo,=100:all,-10:ger,+sel:attachment
Should cover all variants ;)