LOGAN and LIFE blu-ray won't rip

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
syberbu

LOGAN and LIFE blu-ray won't rip

Post by syberbu »

This is a first for me in a long time experience using MKV. The new movies LIFE and LOGAN both came in today from netflix and neither one is recognized in the program. The discs just spin endlessly. Using a LG M-Disc writer that I've been using for years.
yorgo

Re: LOGAN and LIFE blu-ray won't rip

Post by yorgo »

You may want to clean the disc with soap, water, and soft cloth and, if possible, clean your drive. Also, is MakeMKV posting any specific error information? I did not have an issue with Logan (retail version appears to be identical to Netflix from what I've gathered), backed up and played with no problems.
bobface

Post by bobface »

I was able to rip Life without issue from Netflix, so it must be your disc or player.
Fortissimo

Post by Fortissimo »

I am running MakeMKV version 1.10.6.

I got "read errors" when trying to rip Logan, but the problem is that the disc looks absolutely flawless - not even a single nick, hairline scratch or fingerprint anywhere to be found. I cleaned it anyway with a microfiber cloth and spray (same spray made to clean my monitor), and it was of no help - got read errors again. I also know it's not the drive, because I ripped other movies successfully before and after Logan.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

"But the disk is perfect and plays in my DVD/BD player!"

Means very little. A brand new disk can have a haze on it from chemicals used in packaging that is almost invisible... except to laser light. A quick wipe with a soft, damp cloth removes it, and you can rip the disk... until it's spent time in its storage box, where it re-acquires the coating. I posted a picture of the haze in the sticky message about rip errors.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Fortissimo

Post by Fortissimo »

Woodstock wrote:A brand new disk can have a haze on it from chemicals used in packaging that is almost invisible... except to laser light. A quick wipe with a soft, damp cloth removes it, and you can rip the disk... until it's spent time in its storage box, where it re-acquires the coating.
I did wipe it down very carefully and thoroughly, so a coating couldn't be the issue. I did not put it back into its packaging after doing so - I put it right back into my BD-ROM drive and attempted to rip again.
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

Then it could be errors or damage introduced during manufacturing, something not visible to the eye. I've dealt with this often enough.
http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15055

Recommend you replace the disc.