Fatal Error Warning

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Diana Welz

Fatal Error Warning

Post by Diana Welz »

hi. I just bought Black Swan on region B Blu-ray and whenever I try to rip it MakeMKV closes with a "Fatal Error" warning. I have no idea what copy protection may be on it as it doesn't let me get that far. it starts to try to read the disc then just crashes.

I'm using the latest build on Windows 7.

thanks in advance for any help
yorgo

Re: Fatal Error Warning

Post by yorgo »

Can you post a copy of the error log? Need more info before making a better recommendation. Also, try cleaning the disc with mild soap and water then dry with a soft cloth (not paper towel).
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

and if you can check the Windows Event Viewer for any crash reports there, it would help, too.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Diana Welz

Post by Diana Welz »

yorgo wrote:Can you post a copy of the error log? Need more info before making a better recommendation. Also, try cleaning the disc with mild soap and water then dry with a soft cloth (not paper towel).
I heard from other people before that cleaning the disc with mild soap will help, but, won't it damage the lens when I put the disc?
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

Not if you rinse thoroughly with water and towel dry...
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Most cleaning can be done with just a damp, SOFT towel, either cotton or microfiber. It should not take a lot of rubbing. You do not want a towel that is contaminated with ANYTHING abrasive, including dirt.

Personally, I have a bit more aggressive cleaning method - Pledge furniture polish, sprayed on lightly, rubbed in with a CLEAN finger, then a dry, soft cloth to remove the excess. Pledge doesn't use solvents that attack the disk, but it does remove fingerprints, the "haze" that sometimes contaminated new disks, and "filling in" MINOR scratches. It has the downside that, if you don't clean off the excess, it can contaminate your drive.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Diana Welz

Post by Diana Welz »

Woodstock wrote:Most cleaning can be done with just a damp, SOFT towel, either cotton or microfiber. It should not take a lot of rubbing. You do not want a towel that is contaminated with ANYTHING abrasive, including dirt.

Personally, I have a bit more aggressive cleaning method - Pledge furniture polish, sprayed on lightly, rubbed in with a CLEAN finger, then a dry, soft cloth to remove the excess. Pledge doesn't use solvents that attack the disk, but it does remove fingerprints, the "haze" that sometimes contaminated new disks, and "filling in" MINOR scratches. It has the downside that, if you don't clean off the excess, it can contaminate your drive.
Honestly, I did what you told me and guess what happened? It worked and I cannot believe it! Thanks buddy for the help! :lol: