Vision of Escaflowne disc 1 rip hangs

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Valkyrie

Vision of Escaflowne disc 1 rip hangs

Post by Valkyrie »

I've been ripping a number of my Blu-Ray discs (around 80 now), and this one is the first to have given me any trouble. MakeMKV has otherwise been a pleasure to use. :)

It's disc 1 of the Vision of Escaflowne on Blu-Ray (the UK edition). It is brand new and absolutely spotless.

The disc seems to be mastered in an odd way: there is one monster title with chapters and seems to cover all the episodes on the disc. There are then ~10 titles with no chapters, with each title being either an episode or special feature. This is true of all the Escalflowne discs, and they're the only BDs I've seen mastered this way so far.

If I rip all the titles with no chapters, there are no problems.

If I try to rip the monster title with chapters, MakeMKV will rip as usual until it gets to about 97% when the rip will nigh-on pause. I say nigh-on because the rip is actually proceeding, but incredibly slowly. It has managed to rip about 30MB in 60 hours. The drive is sitting idle. Interestingly, MakeMKV thinks it is still ripping at 6.3M/s [1.4X]. The elapsed time is counting slowly: despite the rip being going for more than two days, it reports it's been going for 23 hours 50 minutes. MakeMKV is fully responsive. However, if I eject the disc MakeMKV won't even notice. :wink:

As reported by MakeMKV, the drive is a BD-RE PIONEER BD-RW BDR-XD05 3.01. It is an external drive, but it is certainly powered correctly: Pioneer provide a tool where it stress tests the drive by spinning it at maximum speed while constantly moving the laser, and it passes.

The computer (Windows 10) isn't doing any other work, and MakeMKV is using <1% CPU, which isn't too far out from what I've observed from other rips. I've tried restarting MakeMKV, restarting the machine, and disconnecting and reconnecting the drive. No difference.

I've tried the rip multiple times with multiple settings; it always hangs in the same place. This thread describes a similar problem and it's recommended to lower the retry count. I've tried 5, 1, and 0, to no avail. I only have one drive to test with, but if I get my hands on another I'll give it another try.

Here is a log of the rip so far:

Code: Select all

MakeMKV v1.10.7 win(x64-release) started
Using direct disc access mode
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
File 01000.mpls was added as title #0
Title #01002.mpls has length of 17 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
File 01005.mpls was added as title #1
File 00000.m2ts was added as title #2
File 00001.m2ts was added as title #3
File 00002.m2ts was added as title #4
File 00003.m2ts was added as title #5
File 00004.m2ts was added as title #6
File 00005.m2ts was added as title #7
File 00006.m2ts was added as title #8
File 00007.m2ts was added as title #9
Title #00008.m2ts has length of 89 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00009.m2ts has length of 10 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00010.m2ts has length of 7 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00011.m2ts has length of 66 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
File 00012.m2ts was added as title #10
Title #00013.m2ts has length of 91 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00014.m2ts has length of 71 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00015.m2ts has length of 71 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
File 00016.m2ts was added as title #11
File 00017.m2ts was added as title #12
File 00018.m2ts was added as title #13
File 00019.m2ts was added as title #14
File 00020.m2ts was added as title #15
File 00021.m2ts was added as title #16
File 00022.m2ts was added as title #17
Operation successfully completed
Saving 1 titles into directory D:/Video Rips/Escaflowne BD1
AV sync issue in stream 2 at 0:46:19.056 with duration of 30ms : 6 overlapping frame(s) dropped at segment boundary
AV sync issue in stream 2 at 1:09:28.782 with duration of 35ms : 7 overlapping frame(s) dropped at segment boundary
AV sync issue in stream 0 at 1:32:39.887 : video frame timecode differs by +41.705ms
AV sync issue in stream 0 at 1:32:39.929 : video frame timecode differs by -41.713ms
AV sync issue in stream 0 at 1:32:39.971 : video stream has 2 frames with invalid timecodes
AV sync issue in stream 1 at 1:33:05.955 with duration of 25.984s : 812 overlapping frame(s) dropped at segment boundary
AV sync issue in stream 2 at 1:33:05.966 with duration of 25.995s : 5199 overlapping frame(s) dropped at segment boundary
AV sync issue in stream 0 at 1:55:49.400 : video frame timecode differs by +41.702ms
AV sync issue in stream 0 at 1:55:49.442 : video frame timecode differs by -41.716ms
AV sync issue in stream 0 at 1:55:49.484 : video stream has 2 frames with invalid timecodes
AV sync issue in stream 0 at 2:18:59.414 : video frame timecode differs by +41.702ms
AV sync issue in stream 0 at 2:18:59.456 : video frame timecode differs by -41.716ms
AV sync issue in stream 0 at 2:18:59.497 : video stream has 2 frames with invalid timecodes
AV sync issue in stream 1 at 3:05:45.559 with duration of 27.744s : 867 overlapping frame(s) dropped at segment boundary
You'll notice the AV sync issues. I think this is a bad master: all four Escaflowne discs report these errors, but only this one has difficulty ripping.

While I think I have technically ripped all the episodes thanks to ripping all the other titles, it would be nice to get the chapter markers.

Apologies for drowning you in information, but I figure that it is better to tell everything I know. :)

Is there anything I can try, or any other information I can submit to track down the issue?
Unraveler

Re: Vision of Escaflowne disc 1 rip hangs

Post by Unraveler »

I've just encountered a similar problem. Garnidelia's album "Violet Cry" came with a bonus blu-ray disc, containing a handful of music clips and some live concert footage. Six chapters on a single Title, a copyright warning Title, and nothing else (not even any menus).

Ripping progresses normally until right near completion where it appears to stall. MakeMKV is still perfectly responsive but just won't finish the job. The system resource monitor shows a temp file still being "worked on" - this file (very) slowly grows at around 2kb per second. I'm not patient enough to wait ~45 days to see if it would eventually finish off.

However, instead of making a normal MKV I found that the Backup function actually worked fine (before opening the disc to select titles, choose Backup from the menu instead). I did try to process the resulting backup files into an MKV but the above issue occurred again. The backup files play normally in MPC-HC (File -> Open Directory) so it's not too big of a problem but after ripping hundreds of discs this is the first time I've encountered this issue.

Hope this works for you.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Both of you should submit the information listed in the FAQ link in my signature to support@makemkv.com for Mike to look at.

I only have the DVD version of Escaflowne, so I can't comment on the BD, other that "av sync errors are common", and MakeMKV is simply telling you it corrected for them. As long as they are a fraction of a second, it isn't an issue.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Valkyrie

Post by Valkyrie »

Unraveler wrote:However, instead of making a normal MKV I found that the Backup function actually worked fine (before opening the disc to select titles, choose Backup from the menu instead). I did try to process the resulting backup files into an MKV but the above issue occurred again. The backup files play normally in MPC-HC (File -> Open Directory) so it's not too big of a problem but after ripping hundreds of discs this is the first time I've encountered this issue.
Thanks for the response Unraveler. As it turns out, I had given a backup a go and it worked for me too -- but I forgot to update the thread :oops:. Thanks for doing what I did not.
Woodstock wrote:Both of you should submit the information listed in the FAQ link in my signature to support@makemkv.com for Mike to look at.
Thanks for the advice Woodstock. It's on my to-do list -- at some point I'll revisit this and send over a log.