Error 'OS error - Access is denied' occurred while creating-

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
UnInfamous

Error 'OS error - Access is denied' occurred while creating-

Post by UnInfamous »

I've been scratching my head over this the last couple of days.

I've been using MakeMKV for several months to no issues, I just bought and installed a BDXL drive to do two things; rip multiple discs concurrently and access BDXL required discs.

I moved both of my drives from the onboard SATA to a PCI SATA card I just added as well. Neither drive had any issue loading discs after startup.

However now whenever I try to rip either of the two discs on either of the two drives that I have successfully ripped months in the past on either drive, I get this error "Error 'OS error - Access is denied' occurred while creating 'C:/Users/Me/Desktop/~Ripping/~MakeMKV Rip/House_of_Cards_-_Season_1_-_Disc_3_t01.mkv'" or "Error 'OS error - Access is denied' occurred while creating 'C:/Users/Me/Desktop/~Ripping/~MakeMKV Rip/House_of_Cards_-_Season_1_-_Disc_4_t01.mkv'"

This is obviously a permissions issue, but I can't seem to crack it. I've gone from making my M.2 SSD that my "~MakeMKV Rip" folder full access on all user types on up to the "Me" folder full access on all user types, reinstalled MakeMKV, rebooted my computer a few times to troubleshoot the problem. I haven't been able to find a resolution at this point aside from ripping to another drive which I don't want to accept as a resolution as it offsets the convenience of my current process.
Woodstock

Re: Error 'OS error - Access is denied' occurred while creat

Post by Woodstock »

As a test, do you have another drive you can save to?

It's weird to get write permission errors in your home directory, but I have not tried saving anything to my desktop in ages.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
UnInfamous

Post by UnInfamous »

Right, I’m saving to my D: right now with no problems.

I agree, I’m just saving them to my desktop as a temporary spot as that drive has unparalleled read/write speeds.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Are you running MakeMKV with administrator privileges, or as a "normal" user? Might be a factor. Administrator privileges should work with user-owned directories. But, another issue is if any directory ABOVE the one you're trying to save to has restrictions, they can get applied in weird ways, depending on how you access the same directory.

In most cases, the limiting factor on ripping is the optical drive. I do all of my work using a NAS server (Synology) with spinning drives, and rarely see messages about the drive being too slow. The last time was when I was testing a Wintel W8Pro box for ripping, and the limit was the 100Mb/s network adapter.

The difference in overall speed of ripping is negligible using SSD, and I don't have enough processor power to make SSD vs. spinning drive a factor in encoding.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
UnInfamous

Post by UnInfamous »

Woodstock wrote:Are you running MakeMKV with administrator privileges, or as a "normal" user? Might be a factor. Administrator privileges should work with user-owned directories. But, another issue is if any directory ABOVE the one you're trying to save to has restrictions, they can get applied in weird ways, depending on how you access the same directory.
I am an admin, correct. I recognize that, that's why I tried on all parent directories.
Woodstock wrote:The difference in overall speed of ripping is negligible using SSD, and I don't have enough processor power to make SSD vs. spinning drive a factor in encoding.
That's the weird thing, that would have been my thought, but I've been ripping to this M.2 SSD for months with no issue.
garzjoe

Post by garzjoe »

So I just encountered the exact same error. However I think I know why I had my problem.

I was saving a file and I let it do it's thing, came back an hour or so later (got busy) and the program was having issues reading a certain part of the disk. I attempted to kill the program but it was not responding so I ejected the disk. The MakeMKV program was still going well after I ejected the disk.

I was able to finally kill the program, I cleaned the disk then re-inserted it and tried to save it again. I got a message that the file was already partially created and if I wanted to overwrite it. I said yes. It was at this point I encountered the error. I saw the error but the real problem did not really dawn on me at that moment.

I though the disk was just dirty so I cleaned it again, tried again with same error about Access is denied. I figured out that because of my previous actions the folder I was saving the file into got into a funky state. I had to close all programs, wait a while so I could delete the folder. Once I was able to delete I re-created the folder and it's saving the file again.

It's not done...I sill may get back to the original problem that could be an issues with the disk, however as of now I'm no longer getting that funky OS error - Access is Denied.
Jedelhaun

Re: Error 'OS error - Access is denied' occurred while creating-

Post by Jedelhaun »

I know this is late to the party, but I just started getting this error, I don't know if it will fix it for everybody, but I got this to work on my Windows 10 PC.

It appears to have been a corrupted registry. I simply uninstalled MakeMKV, then I went to the following Registry location and deleted this folder

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MakeMKV

For good measure I also went to /Users/Appdata and searched for anything *makeMK* and deleted those files (when you install MakeMKV the log there shows that it installs files in Appdata.

The registry is where MakeMKV stores preferences. I believe these somehow got corrupted and it was throwing the error shown here, deleting the registry keys and allowing a clean install fixed the problem.
UnInfamous

Post by UnInfamous »

This is awesome, thank you for your input. I think I reinstalled it and it didn’t reproduce. (I forget since I haven’t used it in a while)

If I do have this reoccur, I’m confident your information will resolve the issue.
Jedelhaun

Post by Jedelhaun »

Thanks Uninfamous.

I'm still not confident I licked the problem. I tried to reset the new install of MakeMKV to write files to my original C:\Users\...folder - One I certainly have access to read and write in, and it started erroring again.

I re-tried the solution above and found that when I installed to my computer with a clean and fresh (to C:\Program Files (x86), and to get clean you need to delete the registry to get clean and fresh) then the default location ended up being on a separate NAS Drive??? (in my case F:\Video)??

Not sure what causes that, but keeping this location I'm able to proceed without the error.