different problems

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
nikonizerlp

different problems

Post by nikonizerlp »

hello there,

first of all, sorry for my bad english, i am from germany.

then, the registration in the forum was very hard because the captcha code was hard to read!
i was even banned for trying it again.

my question is the following:

here, i have a huge collection of blu ray discs and want to copy them to my nas-server.
of course, i play them first on my computer, but there is a problem, which is as follow:

i give you the name of "the hobbit - battle of five armies" - nice movie.
i select german audio and german forced subtitles - but when the actors speak elfish - forced subtitles come in english.

did i make a mistake? how can this be?

thank you for your help!!!
Woodstock

Re: different problems

Post by Woodstock »

Several possibilities. Most likely is that there are no subtitles flagged as "forced" in the German subtitle track. In face, if you have TWO German tracks, one of them will usually be the "forced" subtitle track (only the non-German audio), and the other has "everything" (for when you aren't using German audio).

Try ripping with all the German tracks selected.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
nikonizerlp

Post by nikonizerlp »

Woodstock wrote:Several possibilities. Most likely is that there are no subtitles flagged as "forced" in the German subtitle track. In face, if you have TWO German tracks, one of them will usually be the "forced" subtitle track (only the non-German audio), and the other has "everything" (for when you aren't using German audio).

Try ripping with all the German tracks selected.
Thank you kindly for helping me - in the picture you can see what I have selected.
Maybe the mistake is really on my side.

Oh, and when I do convert the MKV file for example into AVI (which is not important as of now), I do even get english subtitles but did not choose to have them in the MKV.

Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

It is possible the English translation of the Elvish is part of the video, and not a subtitle track; I don't have any of the Hobbit/LOTR movies, so I can't help on that.

What are you using for playback? VLC (from videolan.org) understands Bluray subtitles in MKV files, and allows you to easily select the different tracks. You may just have the wrong German subtitle track as the "first" one in the MKV file.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
nikonizerlp

Post by nikonizerlp »

Woodstock wrote:It is possible the English translation of the Elvish is part of the video, and not a subtitle track; I don't have any of the Hobbit/LOTR movies, so I can't help on that.

What are you using for playback? VLC (from videolan.org) understands Bluray subtitles in MKV files, and allows you to easily select the different tracks. You may just have the wrong German subtitle track as the "first" one in the MKV file.
No this is not the problem. In a Bluray player the subtitles are in german. I use both VLC and MP which comes in the KLite codec pack. Both have the same problem. I can not even choose a subtitle, in neither of these programs.

So i guess it is a makemkv issue.
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

nikonizerlp wrote:
Woodstock wrote:It is possible the English translation of the Elvish is part of the video, and not a subtitle track; I don't have any of the Hobbit/LOTR movies, so I can't help on that.

No this is not the problem. In a Bluray player the subtitles are in german. I use both VLC and MP which comes in the KLite codec pack. Both have the same problem. I can not even choose a subtitle, in neither of these programs.

So i guess it is a makemkv issue.
Hi,

the German Version ( I own the SEE) has German Subtiles and MakeMKV extracts them. As you say, the subtitles are there, the player shows them. So something other is wrong. The play does not work with language names, it works with playlists and tracks IDs.

Maybe the disc mastering of the incorrect and the tracks are flagged with the wrong language. Select all subtitle tracks, let MakeMKV run and check with VLC which are the correct tracks for Germany. After this, use "MKVtoolnix" to deselect the unwanted subtitle tracks, flasg the right one with "Germany" and muxx a new MKV file.
Good Luck :)