Friends Blu Ray Box - More titles than there should be?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
NoLimits

Friends Blu Ray Box - More titles than there should be?

Post by NoLimits »

Hi Guys,
I have purchased a BluRay Box Set of the TV-Show "Friends". On Disk 1 (the only one i've checked so far), there are supposed to be 12 Episodes. Those 12 Episodes can be found on the Disk in ".../BDMV/Stream" .

Each of them has 22 Minutes and about 3.300.000 kb according to Windows.

In MakeMKV (registered version), there are 26 Titles with each 4 Chapters and roughly 2.8 GB of size (as well as a 5 minute clip with 34 Chapters and 250 MB, which I think is not important).

After ripping the disk, all 26 Titles have roughly 22.5 Minutes of playtime.

Now I haven't watched all of them, but I imagine that they have been ripped twice??

Where are the original 12?

Help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Bill

PS: I am not at home right now but i will post screenshots as soon as I'm back.

PPS: I use Version 1.10.08 on Windows 10 64 bit
NoLimits

Additional info and screenshots

Post by NoLimits »

Alright. Since I am unable to upload the screenshots directly to this foum, i have posted them on imgur: https://imgur.com/a/0iLRh

I am running (paid) Version 1.10.08 on Windows 10 (64-bit) and I have Java installed.

I have looked through the files, one is a directors commentary, but most of them are ripped twice. Why??

Help is appreciated! :)

Cheers, Bill
yorgo

Re: Friends Blu Ray Box - More titles than there should be?

Post by yorgo »

I do not own this set but it could very well be that each episode has two identical playlists, producing two identical or near-identical .mkv files. This happened with the Arrow TV series, if I recall, as well as a few others. Once ripped, check to see if there are two .mkv files of identical size. Play a bit of each to verify.
Meister_Proper

Post by Meister_Proper »

That is actually quite common. Just have a look at the audio tracks. You will see that there are 12 files with Englisch and Japanese audio and 12 files with English and a several other languages. Just ignore the English and Japanese files.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Episodic TV shows are subject to a wide variety of mastering methods.

I cannot speak to the Friends disks directly, but I'm currently ripping a series where each BD has 6 episodes, and each episode is on the disk twice, with different lengths. The difference is an extended "credits" chapter at the end of each episode. Without knowing this, I now have extra copies of the episodes, AND mkv files of the pieces that made up the extended episodes.

Some disks have the "preview" for the next episode as a separate chapter, which is either present or not present, depending on playback options. If you rip the disk, you end up with a "just the episode" and a "episode plus preview" copy.

So, Yorgo's got you on the right path - look for ones that are identical, and you will probably want to play the opening part of each file to see where the duplicates are.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
NoLimits

Post by NoLimits »

Thank you so much!!! ;)

It's true, there are 12 Episodes with English and other languages and 12 with English and Japanese. So i will rip only the multi-language ones. Thanks, @Meister_Proper!

@yorgo and @Woodstock: Sadly, they are not identical sizes, because half of them have more audio tracks. but I'll use your hint with playing a bit of each to identify the once that are double for the two disks I've ripped so far.

You guys just made my day and helped me save many hours of tedious work!

I appreciate your help!!!! :D