Differences when converting ISOs to MKVs

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
mmkv246

Differences when converting ISOs to MKVs

Post by mmkv246 »

I do use the following command in MakeMKV 1.10.8 on Windows 10 to convert ISO files (BDs and DVDs) to MKV files:

Code: Select all

makemkvcon.exe mkv iso:AnIsoFile all AnTempFolder > temp.txt
According the docs this command should not change (encode/reencode) the streams. After successful conversion I checked mediainfo output for both files. I do notice some differences. Here are the commands for mediainfo 0.7.98 running on Windows 10 64bit for the ISO and the MKV:

VCDMount.exe /d=0 AnIsoFile
MediaInfo.exe d: --Output=XML > temp_ISO.xml
VCDMount.exe /d=0 /u

MediaInfo.exe AnMkvTitle --Output=XML > temp_MKV.xml

Some of the differences - there are lots of:

Video:

ISO: <Stream_size>12598576834</Stream_size>
MKV: <Stream_size>12501944736</Stream_size>

ISO: <Bit_rate>30020222</Bit_rate>
MKV: <Bit_rate>29789994</Bit_rate>

Audio:

ISO: <Stream_size>268590080</Stream_size>
MKV: <Stream_size>268590080</Stream_size>

ISO: <compr_Average>0.93 dB</compr_Average>
MKV: <compr_Average>-2.44 dB</compr_Average>
And here, to make it complete, the Advanced settings in the GUI. Don't know if they are taken into account:

-sel:all,+sel:(ger|eng|nolang|single),-sel:(havemulti|core),+sel:mvcvideo,-sel:special,=100:all,-10:favlang,+sel:subtitle&(ger|eng)
Do I need to worry about this differences. I do want untouched streams, no reencoding, etc.

Many thanks in advance.
Meister_Proper

Re: Differences when converting ISOs to MKVs

Post by Meister_Proper »

It’s because you don’t select all languages for audio and subs. Furthermore, m2ts has a relatively large header which mkv doesn’t have.
mmkv246

Re: Differences when converting ISOs to MKVs

Post by mmkv246 »

Thanks for your answer.

Please have a look at the video stream size from ISO and MKV in my original post (12598576834 vs. 12501944736 = 90MB diff). It's the video stream size, not a container size. I thought both should be identical.

So, do you say the "all" in the makemkvcon command does not copy all streams from source to target?

I forgot to mention, that all ISOs are already remuxed from untouched/complete source and do contain the preferred language only. It's impossible that an audio/sub stream will be left out.

TIA.