"No disc" message

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
emamid

"No disc" message

Post by emamid »

Getting a "No disc" message, but only on certain BR discs, which do not appear to be damaged. Other BR discs load fine. Specifically, my Flash Season 3 reads fine. Game of Thrones Season 7 shows "No disc." When I put the Flash disc back in, it still reads. Since I don't get to the ripping stage, there isn't anything in the log to post. Drive info is:

Drive Information
OS device name: /dev/sr0
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BDDVDRW UH12NS30
Revision: 1.03
Serial number: K9RF4E84811
Firmware date: 2114-04-24 19:00:
Bus encryption flags: 16

One thing I do note is that the GoT discs (the ones which aren't working) are the kind that have a translucent logo and lettering embedded in the data side of the disc -- essentially a mirror-image of the label side -- and I recall having problems previously with other discs that had those. The Flash discs have the normal plain data side, and have no problems. Is that something that is known to cause problems? Any other suggestions?
Woodstock

Re: "No disc" message

Post by Woodstock »

Are you sure that the "logo" isn't just seeing the top layer through the data side? I have a number of disks that translucent, some with a printed side, and some without. Those disks have the "front" clearly visible on the data side.

The data requires the ability to focus on a specific layer of the disk, not that the background is opaque. It is possible your drive is having focus issues, which is why those disks do not load. Drives from 2014 should normally have no issue with this... My 2013 LG drive doesn't.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
emamid

Re: "No disc" message

Post by emamid »

Woodstock wrote:Are you sure that the "logo" isn't just seeing the top layer through the data side? I have a number of disks that translucent, some with a printed side, and some without. Those disks have the "front" clearly visible on the data side.
Aha. Turns out that what I'm seeing is something like that. I'm seeing *through* the label side -- what I thought was embedded in the data layers is actually the lettering on the label side being formed by empty areas in the paint/ink.