Blu-ray's Wont Read After Update?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Dakota A 199516

Blu-ray's Wont Read After Update?

Post by Dakota A 199516 »

Hi, new here.

I recently updated to the latest version of MakeMKV and none of my Blu-Rays will load now. The disc spins but then says no disc. DVD's work perfectly, but for some reasons BDs aren't even showing up on Windows 10 explorer. Is this an AACS issue? That highest version mine has encountered up until I updated it was v61 from the film," Don't Breathe". The last movie I ripped was "Jurassic Park" a few weeks ago and it worked fine, but when I tried to rip, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone after updating, it would not read and seemingly locked up. Do I just need to wait for an update or is something else at play? :?:

Thanks for any help. :)
Last edited by Dakota A 199516 on Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woodstock

Re: Blu-ray's Wont Read After Update?

Post by Woodstock »

What version of MakeMKV are you running?

v64 of AACS hit the streets a couple of weeks ago, and v1.10.10 was released to deal with it. This particular AACS version revokes MakeMKV's old key, so the new version is needed to talk to any drive exposed to it. DVDs won't be blocked, but ALL BDs will be.

Sometimes the update doesn't install, which is why you have to check the version even when you think you've updated.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Dakota A 199516

It says the version I have is 1.10.10, the most up-to-date.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (89.29 KiB) Viewed 18164 times
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

It is possible that you are being caught by the expiration of the beta key, which would disable BD functionality, even with "2 days left" showing on the display. Normally, Mike would have replaced the key when 1.10.10 came out, but apparently he did not.

Try setting your system DATE back to 20 January, start MakeMKV, then rest your date to today. If MakeMKV can then read BDs, it's the beta key.

If it still cannot, follow the instructions in the FAQ in my signature and generate a debug log for a BD, and send the information to support@makemkv.com so that Mike can look at it. 1.10.10 works fine for me, at least, on BDs, so we need to eliminate other possible problems.
Dakota A 199516

Changing the date still did not resolve the problem. I generated a log and here were the contents.

Debug log started at Sun Jan 28 18:12:48 2018 , written by MakeMKV v1.10.10 win(x64-release)
Using 524544KB for read cache.
001005:0000 MakeMKV v1.10.10 win(x64-release) started
001004:0000 Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as C:\Users\Samsung/MakeMKV_log.txt
Application exited at Sun Jan 28 18:14:05 2018

Assuming I did everything right, Is this what I should send to support@makemkv.com?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Try loading a BD, so the log shows the attempt.

If MakeMKV doesn't even attempt to read the disk, it may be Windows interfering, which has happened a lot since the "Creator's Update" hit last fall.
Dakota A 199516

I did load a disc, it never loaded in either Windows or MakeMKV. It makes noise like it's gonna read it then stops and says no disc. Is there something I can do with Windows to keep it from interfering? I've cleaned both the drive and disc multiple times and even tried multiple discs to no avail. I can try some more and see if any load.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

OK, this may seem to be a silly question, but... When was the last time you did a "full reset" on your computer? Not just a reboot, but one where the hardware gets reset?

Unless you have an actual reset button, the only time that happens is when the system powers down, and of course you want to do a normal shutdown in Windows.

I have encountered cases where a motherboard stops talking to a device, and only a reset fixes it... it persists between "restarts".

Also, I'm finding other cases on Google where your drive model has had issues with Windows 10, including "will not read BDs after updating to Windows 10". In one case on the Microsoft help forums, the tech recommended (as they usually do!) making sure you have the latest drivers from the manufacturer, because the standard ones in Windows "might not be right".
Dakota A 199516

I always shut down my computer when I'm done with it, like properly, by using the start menu. I tried this and updating the drivers and still got nothing. So, I reinstalled Windows and managed to get 2 specific Blu-Rays working, Silent Hill AACS v1 and Pokemon AACS v54, but only those two, any others still don't read.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

One "final" test - download an earlier version from /download/old/ , install it (you'll want to make sure you have the current beta key), and see if those BDs "suddenly" are readable.

That will isolate if it is a change made to MakeMKV in the last version update. I recommend trying 1.10.8, because it does AACS v63 and doesn't have the latest round of UHD changes in it.
Dakota A 199516

Still a no go, i'm completely stumped.
Dakota A 199516

I guess I'l just wait until the next big update.
preserve

Post by preserve »

A new version was released a few days ago (1.12.0) and the beta key should be updated now too - it's different from the previous key that expired end of January.

Hopefully this should solve your problem.

If you purchase MakeMKV - /buy - you'll get a permanent key license and you don't have to worry about the few days overlap with the beta keys that can sometimes happen.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
Dakota A 199516

I updated to 1.12.0, and used they new beta key and still cannot get any, besides those certain few I mentioned before, to run. I'm completely unsure what to do, could the drive be broken in some way? That doesn't make sense to me if some BDs are readable.

Sorry to be constantly bombarding with replies, i'm just genuinely not sure what steps to take next. Could buying a permanent key fix it? Is it even fix-able at all? I'm not even sure If buying an external drive would change anything.

Thank You for your continued support.
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

The detection of a DVD or Blu-ray has nothing to do with MakeMKV. Even if no "Autoplay" Action is selected, Windows analyse the medium and you can see the result (the Label) if the FIle Explorer behind the Drive Letter. Also an Infoxbox pops up. As long as Windows can not deteced or identify the medium it is not possible for MakeMKV to access the Medium.
So I assume you Blu-ray Player has a problem.
Good Luck :)