Decrypted Blu-ray disc - Red firmware update message

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
KillingTime

Decrypted Blu-ray disc - Red firmware update message

Post by KillingTime »

Hello,

First post on the forum and I'm looking for some advice. The issue I have involves makemkv, but I don't think makemkv is the problem. Just trying to get a better understanding of what's going on.

I bought a blu-ray disc recently and on putting it in a standard desktop player (Philips 7300) I received a red warning message telling me to update the firmware. No option to play the movie.

"Warning: Your blu-ray player requires an update in order to play this disc. Please visit your blu-ray player's manufacturers website and follow their instructions to update your blu-ray player...."

I'm already running the latest firmware, last update was around 2010. Wanting to just watch the movie, tried a full backup using makemkv 1.10.8.0 -Offline - (not an mkv file) and playing it from a java enabled network media player (Netgear 550), same warning message. So I'm left with a disc carrying the blu-ray logo on it that cannot be played on a blu-ray player.

Doing a web search on the error message has revealed that it happens with discs that use BD+ and that the error message comes from the disc, not the player. It's a measure introduced by the distributor of the disc to prevent old (fully functional) blu-ray players from working with a disk if they don't support the latest security measures.

I'm not buying a new blu-ray player each time some distributor comes up with a new bright idea for security. Money doesn't grow on trees.

MakeMKV to the rescue.

Confused as to why I'm seeing the warning after MKV has processed it. If this is a BD+ measure, should I still be seeing it after makeMKV?

1. Does MKV only deal with BD+ if you create an MKV file as opposed to a full backup?
2. Does MKV need internet access to download keys to deal with BD+?

There's a note in the explanation here http://makemkv.com/svq/ that 'Starting from version 1.5.8 MakeMKV downloads all required SVQ files automatically'. MakeMKV was run off-line but no visible error message was displayed during backup.

Thanks,
Woodstock

Re: Decrypted Blu-ray disc - Red firmware update message

Post by Woodstock »

When going to MKV files, MakeMKV will remove the BD+ encryption, but it may need to download an SVQ file as you've read.

BD+ evolves over time, so any changes since the last release of MakeMKV will require internet access, long enough to get the needed SVQ for that disk. The next time a new version is released, the SVQs are "rolled up" into that release. So v1.10.12 has the SVQs that were created up to its release... which probably includes most disks released through early January of this year.

As for backups... I don't know, I've never done much with backups.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
preserve

Post by preserve »

If you are running without internet (I don't have internet on my ripping machine) and there have been updates to the SVQs since the latest version, you can manually download the latest SVQ file and place it in your MakeMKV data directory: http://www.makemkv.com/svq/dsall.svq
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
KillingTime

Post by KillingTime »

Thanks for the replies.

I'll try again with a newer version and internet access.