"TV Test Card" at start of BR [Spooks: The Greater Good]

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
modnar

"TV Test Card" at start of BR [Spooks: The Greater Good]

Post by modnar »

Hi all,

I've been backing up some blu-rays, and there's 1 disc I've come across where makemkv has the playlist, but reports 2 minutes longer than when I loaded BDInfo with the same playlist.

The first minute contains a "TV Test Card" with a high pitch, for approx 1 minute. After this, there is a black background with some channel output information. After 30 seconds, the movie starts fine.

I opened up PowerDVD, which uses the same playlist file, but doesn't contain the above, but has the same run time as reported by BDInfo.

Anybody seen this before? There isn't another playlist to choose from. What information should I post?

Thanks
Last edited by modnar on Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
preserve

Re: "TV Test Card" at start of Blu-Ray

Post by preserve »

What is the movie? (Tip: in the future, put the movie title in the thread subject.)

It's a specific case, so if someone has the same movie, they might have already solved this problem.

Some type of strange playlist problem, since you mention that BDInfo gives the same playlist but the length is different. That shouldn't be possible.

Look at the playlist to see the segments. Presumably there is an extra segment being added at the start of the playlist.

Post MakeMKV's debug log from opening the disc.

Post screenshots of what you're seeing in MakeMKV and BDInfo.

The more info you post, the more likely it is that someone can help you.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
modnar

Re: "TV Test Card" at start of BR [Spooks: The Greater Good]

Post by modnar »

Thank you for the tips, I'll grab the info now and post back shortly. I've also updated the Subject. If I remember correctly, there was only 1 segment. I'll show all version info etc too.
modnar

Post by modnar »

Power DVD reports a length of 01:43
BDInfo reports 01:43:49
MakeMKV reports 01:45:59

What's odd, is all the chapters seem off by 02:10, which is when that Test card etc ends, and the film begins.
Attachments
hm,mm - Copy.png
hm,mm - Copy.png (57.68 KiB) Viewed 15811 times
BDInfo.png
BDInfo.png (36.07 KiB) Viewed 15812 times
makemkv.png
makemkv.png (82.33 KiB) Viewed 15812 times
preserve

Post by preserve »

That is certainly strange and "other sources" confirm that the BDInfo info should be correct.

Personally I don't recall a similar problem like this one, where there is a discrepancy like this, and also MakeMKV only reports the one segment.

Unless someone else here has ideas, this might be a case that requires submitting a test dump to Mike so that he can look into this in more detail:

/onlinehelp/testdump.html
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
modnar

Post by modnar »

Thank you preserve,

I've started a testdump now just in case nobody else has any idea(s).
Jedfordski

Post by Jedfordski »

I've had this issue with Mindhorn and Black Sails TV show... hopefully someone can solve this :)
Jedfordski

Post by Jedfordski »

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but did anyone ever find an answer for this? I've just reripped Black Sails and noticed thatthe test cards are still there for Season 2 on the steelbook complete collection...
mizu_ger

Post by mizu_ger »

I've had this happen on a number of disks. Most of the Arrow releases of Woody Allen films from the UK rip with test cards at the start. Same with the UK edition of Steamboy. I've also just had it happen with the US Kino release of Les Vampires. All these mkvs need to be processed with MKVToolNix to remove the first chapter.

It's very strange as there are no other playlists that match the film on the disks and the test card does not appear when playing the disks on a standalone player.
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

Mike wrotes the reason for this some month ago. The MPLS can have an From/To timestamp for each Stream element file. Currently MakeMKV ignores this and includes always the complete Stream element.
Good Luck :)

Post by mizu_ger »

Grauhaar wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 6:14 am
Mike wrotes the reason for this some month ago. The MPLS can have an From/To timestamp for each Stream element file. Currently MakeMKV ignores this and includes always the complete Stream element.
Thanks. I missed that.

Is there any way around this?
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

Not with MakeMKV. If the problem is on begining of the movie, you can remove it with MKVToolNIX. Either use the split (on the Output Tab) by Chapter 2 option (if it is on chapter boundary) or you can use an timestamp. After this you have two files, one with the removed part and one with the movie.
Good Luck :)