Rambo: First Blood Part II

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
slr2018

Rambo: First Blood Part II

Post by slr2018 »

I've been fighting with this title for a month now. I have literally tried 7 different used copies, and then finally purchased a brand new retail copy (flawless condition) and still cannot get it to rip.

I even went as far as to purchase a new LG Blu-ray drive for my PC thinking that perhaps the old drive was on the fritz. But out of hundreds of titles, Rambo 2 is the only one that is giving me errors and failing, even when using a brand new copy.

Also tried an older version of MakeMKV, didn't help.

So that's 8 copies of the same disc, 2 different drives, and different versions of the software. At this point, I started doing some deeper research on Google and these forums and discovered that several other users were complaining about similar issues back in 2010 or 2011. The admin finally deemed the issue to be a flaw in the mastering of the Blu-ray disc itself, and stated that a workaround would be implemented in a future version of MakeMKV.

Wanted to report that I'm still running into this problem in 2018, and have yet to find a solution. Tried to do a backup and that failed as well.

I checked Amazon to see if a newer master of this title exists, but apparently all of the new boxed sets are using the same discs as the older sets. So that was a no-go.

Full log file is attached.
MakeMKV_log.txt
(62.41 KiB) Downloaded 378 times
Thank you in advance!
slr2018

Re: Rambo: First Blood Part II

Post by slr2018 »

I just purchased a new copy from Amazon UK. Hoping the European Rambo II is a better master and doesn't have the same problem that the US version does. Will update with results when the Blu-ray arrives in a week or two.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Is the offset always the same across multiple attempts, or does is vary significantly?

Is the drive internal, or a USB drive?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
slr2018

Post by slr2018 »

Both drives are internal with updated firmware (desktop drives). They are different models.

The offset across all 8 discs appears to be in the same spot if I remember correctly. The two I tested last night (including the new retail copy) were in the same spot, around the 50% mark. Multiple attempts of the same disc always fails in the same spot.

I tried decrypting the disc and then using multiple methods to extract the main m2ts file, but everything failed with errors about halfway through.

I can, however, decrypt the disc and watch the main movie m2ts file via VLC Player and it seems to work fine. I skipped through it a bit and couldn't find any problems. There may have been some errors in the middle of the movie, but I didn't have the time to sit and watch it. But the goal is to rip it and process it with Handbrake so I can add it to my Plex server.

So at that point I thought...hmm...let's try a Region 2 disc and see how that fares.
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

With Makemkv running, but not ripping, have you tried copying the folders to your hard drive and decode the hard drive copy? You could be looking at an intentional bad sector.
slr2018

Post by slr2018 »

Yes, I have tried that with multiple discs and multiple decryption programs. The copy always fails with errors around the 50% mark.

I have a feeling the Region 2 disc that's on it's way to me will rip properly (fingers crossed).
slr2018

Post by slr2018 »

After waiting a few weeks for the disc to arrive, I am happy to announce that the UK version of Rambo II Blu-ray works perfectly fine. So hopefully this thread will help anyone who runs into this issue in the future, that it does appear there's a mastering problem with the US version of the Blu-ray disc.