Black Panther Subtitles

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
HTPC23

Black Panther Subtitles

Post by HTPC23 »

Does anyone know what Audio track to select to get the Wakanda subtitles to show up in Black Panther?
I usually just put a checkmark by all the PGS English (forced only) ones (see attachment) and that works most of the time. In this case when I play the movie in Emby Theater or MPC-HC the subtitles don't show up.

Appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks
Attachments
Black Panther.PNG
Black Panther.PNG (27.08 KiB) Viewed 27531 times
Grauhaar

Re: Black Panther Subtitles

Post by Grauhaar »

You must select both subtitle tracks and check it later with f.e. VLC. Your option selects only subtitles with are flagged as "forced" but if there is a complete separate subtitle track for "forced" subtitles, they have not the forced flag set.

There are two types of subtitle tracks:
- subtitle track have normal flagged and forced flagged subtitles, so the selection "forced only" extracts only the forced flagged.
- subtitle track have only forced subtitles but flagged as normal, because the complete track is used for forced subtitles. In this case the "forced only" extracts nothing because non of the subtitles are flagged as forced.
Good Luck :)

Post by Deano86 »

The forced subtitle selections are empty on this title.... and are stated as much on MakeMkv when it has finished ripping it. Thats why they don't work when you play the movie. I believe you will find the 3rd English subtitle should be just the forced ones you are looking for. I select all of the English subtitle options for a rip and then usually can easily tell which one is correct before even playing it just by using Mediainfo.... then just a simple matter of modifying what is actually needed with MKVtoolnix....
milder

Post by milder »

Say Deano, how can you tell which are the correct subtitles? I bought MediaInfo and I'm kinda dumb, if you wouldn't mind helping out.

Thanks!
Deano86

Post by Deano86 »

milder wrote:Say Deano, how can you tell which are the correct subtitles? I bought MediaInfo and I'm kinda dumb, if you wouldn't mind helping out.

Thanks!
Well, first off...I use this super handy spreadsheet which is updated constantly...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... dit#gid=20

Then, if I am still not certain which subtitle is correct... and mind you... I am only looking for any forced subtitles which kick in during small sections of foreign dialog. I will rip all the English subtitles and then open up the finished rip with Mediainfo...choose one of the proper viewing modes to actually look at the specs for each subtitle track. It is pretty easy to tell by the number of subtitle "objects" and the actual subtitle file size which one would be the one you need. If it's a full subtitle track or descriptive audio track, they will be much larger.

Not to mention, I am pretty sure there are actual subtitle programs you can use to edit or actually see the subtitles, but I have never needed to use them...
ossie

Post by ossie »

This worked for me

1) Rip using MakeMKV and take all English language subtitles in the stream selection.
2) Play video in VLC at a point were forced subs are active then cycle through the subs to find the correct track.
3) Once you know the correct number drop the mkv file into MKVtoolnix and it will list the contents of the file, deselect all of the unneeded subtitle tracks.
4) Select the remaining subtitle track and look to the top right under properties and set the forced track flag to yes.
5) Click on start multiplexing and it will generate a new version of the .mkv file with only that subtitle track present.

If your media player cannot play BD subs in an MKV container or does not respect the forced subs flag in MKV then thats where video conversion like Handbrake would come into play burning the subs into the video stream.