Failed to open ISO

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
HollowMac

Failed to open ISO

Post by HollowMac »

Hello,

I successfully tested the conversion of Blu-ray to MKV with Makemkv.

But lately, I got a blu-ray directory (with subdirectories BDMV and CERTIFICATE) : Makemkv can not directly convert MKV from these directories (which is a sad), so I've put theses myself in an ISO image. But when I open it in Makemkv, the following error appears:

"Failed to open disc"

No other message appears, even by checking the "Log debug messages."

What to do ?

Sincerely,
Thank you.
setarip_old

Re: Failed to open ISO

Post by setarip_old »

@HollowMac

Hi!
I got a blu-ray directory
The inference in your statement is that you're not dealing with an original, commercial Blu-ray disc as your source material - and based on your results, it would appear that your source material is not valid...

HollowMac

Post by HollowMac »

Thank you for your answer.

Is this also possible that the ISO is involved ? Should I create it with some mandatory parameters ?
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Just use MakeMKV directly (No other programs) with your original, commercial Blu-ray disc to create an .MKV...

HollowMac

Post by HollowMac »

Makemkv is able to create .MKV from ISO files. I am interested to buy Makemkv, but it is clear that Makemkv can't do this. So I'm looking how to get there because I want to buy it. What is the solution ? Do I just put the BDMV directory in ISO ?

Thanks.

edit : I read this topic : http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showt ... ?tid=14672, and I saw that I was not the only one with this problem. Then I got the idea to open the file "index.bdmv" directly, and this time it works! There is therefore a problem with the ISO.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

There is therefore a problem with the ISO.
Yes - and you've now confirmed what I originally suggested about the .ISO image file you were using as your source material:
The inference in your statement is that you're not dealing with an original, commercial Blu-ray disc as your source material - and based on your results, it would appear that your source material is not valid...

NickJ

Post by NickJ »

I'm not saying this is the solution to your particular problem but when MakeMKV cannot open an ISO file it's because it could be corrupt for any reason. I'll copy and paste what I've posted elsewhere hoping this helps in your particular case..

I find when I have this problem, the best measure to take (based on shows I've recorded on DVD that I want to copy to hard disk), if say, a program like "MakeMKV" isn't opening the ISO file, is to use a program such as Winzip or Winrar and to extract the content of the ISO that way (because an ISO is an archive file as well). You can then gain access to the VOB files. The VOB files will be split into unhelpful sections but you can merge them with a program such as MKVToolnix. After that, if you want to split the merged MKV file into smaller relevant files, you can use a video editing program.

I only know all of this because of the problems I've had to get around for this specific type of problem. I've quite a few shows I recorded on video tape, copied them over to DVD when that finally became an option, then in more recent years copied that over to MKV format. I make a copy of the ISO file and most of the time, MakeMKV is brilliant. However, when I run across this specific problem (and I've tried DVD Shrink and other programs that didn't do the trick).. I use good old Winrar/Winzip.

I hope this helps.