Playback of blu-ray backup hangs indefinitely

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Tulip

Playback of blu-ray backup hangs indefinitely

Post by Tulip »

This morning, I attempted to back up my blu-ray of My Little Pony: Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks. After finishing the (unencrypted) backup, I proceeded, in the spirit of making-sure-it-worked, to try to open it in VLC. However, unlike the previous blu-rays I've backed up—which played back from the backup same as from the disc—this one instead proceeded to hang indefinitely when opened. (By contrast, when opening the original disc with the same settings, it hung for a few seconds while the drive spun up and then began playing back the opening 36-seconds-of-logos, as was correct of it.)

VLC didn't throw any error messages in the GUI on the attempted opening of the backup, nor write any error messages to the log which it didn't also write for the successful opening-from-disc; it just hung indefinitely until stopped. MakeMKV could still open up the backup without issue, meanwhile. And VLC could, without hanging, play back the main title from the backup, if I set it to skip disc menus.

Overall: I am confused! Today is my first foray into experimenting with MakeMKV's backup option, and this is the third disc I've tried to back up and the first to give me any issues. Does anyone here have any good ideas regarding what might be going wrong and/or how to solve it?

(If relevant: I'm using MakeMKV 1.17.4, and attempting to play back in VLC 3.0.18, on Windows 10.)