Recommended drives for standard blu ray

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
RMED24

Recommended drives for standard blu ray

Post by RMED24 »

So essentially, getting my hands on libredrive capable drives is expensive when I specifically want to rip 1080p blu rays. I'm wondering if there's a good drive for under £40 in the UK that can rip these discs, and if you could make me aware of any potential issues that could arise from going this route? Cheers
MartyMcNuts

Re: Recommended drives for standard blu ray

Post by MartyMcNuts »

RMED24 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:26 pm
So essentially, getting my hands on libredrive capable drives is expensive when I specifically want to rip 1080p blu rays. I'm wondering if there's a good drive for under £40 in the UK that can rip these discs, and if you could make me aware of any potential issues that could arise from going this route? Cheers
Any Blu-ray drive will work for standard BD discs. You don't have to have a libredrive capable drive.

If you do want a libredrive capable drive, look for the cheaper LG models such as BH16NS55, BH16NS40, etc. if you want an external slim drive, try the BP50NB40 or the Verbatim 43888 as it contains a Pioneer BDR-UD04 which should have libredrive enabled out of the box. All of the others will work for standard BD discs but will need flashing to enable libredrive.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
RMED24

Re: Recommended drives for standard blu ray

Post by RMED24 »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:56 pm
If you do want a libredrive capable drive, look for the cheaper LG models such as BH16NS55, BH16NS40, etc. if you want an external slim drive, try the BP50NB40 or the Verbatim 43888 as it contains a Pioneer BDR-UD04 which should have libredrive enabled out of the box. All of the others will work for standard BD discs but will need flashing to enable libredrive.
Hi Marty. Cheers for such advice. I'm just curious about what limitations are at play if I were to just buy a cheap blu ray drive off Ebay? Any particular firma are revisions or specific drives to avoid? Would I suffer from riplock at all, making the ripping process rather slow? Cheers