Can I brick a single Blu Ray Disc?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
kaysera

Can I brick a single Blu Ray Disc?

Post by kaysera »

Good morning,

I was trying to rip the Anime movie "Weathering with you" (just purchased, brand new), and it showed a "Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:1090'" when scanning the disk. It seemed to be in a track different than the one I wanted to rip so I didn't pay much attention (my bad), so I tried to rip it anyways. Midway the ripping, it started to show the same error in a different sector, and suddenly the program crashed and stopped ripping. The problem is that now I cannot read that blu ray (not detected by windows, VLC, MakeMKV, AnyDVD...) nor the one with the extras from that movie, which is a different disc. But I can still read DVDs and other Blu Rays, so the drive seems to be still working. I tried cleaning the disc, powering off the drive, etc. and nothing works. The drive is an LG ggc h20n, internal sata.

I'm a bit at a loss, could you help me figure out what happened? Thanks
dcoke22

Re: Can I brick a single Blu Ray Disc?

Post by dcoke22 »

It is possible the discs are just dirty. Have you tried gently cleaning them?
kaysera

Post by kaysera »

I tried a couple times and nothing. The next day the disc was detected again but the same thing happened, it spitted a few errors and it stopped being detected at all. Maybe the disc defective? The worst part is that I bought it in a stand so I cannot exchange it.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

In my experience, some discs just don't get along with some drives. I have three different drives I use. When a disc doesn't work in my 'main' drive, it almost always works in one of my other drives. Perhaps you could find another drive to try the disc in?