Some Blu-Rays not being recognized at all - "No disc"

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
loopydoodle

Some Blu-Rays not being recognized at all - "No disc"

Post by loopydoodle »

Hi,

I am currently moving loads of BDs to my Jellyfin server. Most of them never played, never even unwrapped. I have so far encountered three that are not recognized by either of my drives (LG BH08LS20 & Pioneer BDR-UD04, both connected via USB).

I tried under Windows and Linux, and I tried putting them in the drive w/o MakeMKV running. Nothing. One of them will (at least start to) play on my Xbox One. The other two aren't recognized there either. I guess those discs are faulty, but I am a bit surprised that there isn't even a read error - they just don't seem to exist at all.

Are there any tricks I should try before binning those discs?
Radiocomms237

Re: Some Blu-Rays not being recognized at all - "No disc"

Post by Radiocomms237 »

Just the usual 'Clean, Rinse, Repeat' advice.

Sometimes even brand new titles need a clean, I've opened shrink-wrapped discs that look like they have watermarks on the playing surface (I assume from the manufacturing process), and then I've heard tell of something called "de-gassing" where the plastic case emits 'fumes' of some type onto the disc if left sitting sealed for any length of time?

I use only good quality microfiber cloth, I buy them by the hundreds off eBay, and basically use a new one on every disc.

Everybody will suggest different cleaning solutions to use on really stubborn discs, like mild soapy water, but I use white vinegar and find that it will remove just about any contaminants without damaging the disc, but that's just me conveying my own experience and I am in no way suggesting you do the same (so don't sue me when your disc melts in your hand)! :shock:

But I figure if all else fails and it still won't play, what do you have to lose!
loopydoodle

Re: Some Blu-Rays not being recognized at all - "No disc"

Post by loopydoodle »

Thank you. I tried, but no dice. So I threw them away.