HashCheck - Error

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Anarethos

HashCheck - Error

Post by Anarethos »

Hi everyone!

I am having problem ripping a Blu-Ray disc.

I always get "HashCheck" error.

I also have error using another ripping software that I will not name.

The disk seems OK. Tried to clean it.

My drive is able to read/rip a lot of other movies.

I did an "encrypted backup" of the BluRay. As expected, I had a copy error.
I then used Windows explorer to copy the file in question (25gb m2ts file).
Copy without any problem.

Then I tried to used MakeMKV to decrypt the file and, again, I got the "HashCheck" error and the converto to MKV file fails.

Anything I can try?
dcoke22

Re: HashCheck - Error

Post by dcoke22 »

Blu-rays have hash tables on the disc that can be used to verify the movie on the disc is being read correctly. MakeMKV uses these to make sure it is making a faithful copy of the disc. A hash check error means that some of the movie was not correctly read off the optical disc. Usually this means the disc is dirty or damaged in some way.

The IO tab in MakeMKV's preferences has a Read retry count setting. This controls how many times MakeMKV will ask the drive to reread any data that isn't right. 25 or so is a practical maximum.

Some drives are better than others at reading trouble spots on discs. If you can get access to another drive, trying the disc in a different drive might give different results.

When you ask Windows to copy the files from the optical drive, it doesn't do any hash table checking. So if the drive reads bogus data, Windows won't know. This is why asking Windows to copy the files to your storage appears to work, but trying to use MakeMKV on that copy doesn't.
Anarethos

Post by Anarethos »

Thanks for the detailed information!

Is there any way to force MakeMKV ton continue? I mean, I don'T care about 2-3 minutes of skipped video in a 6h long movie....
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I'm not aware of a way to get MakeMKV to ignore errors and continue, although that sort of feature is asked for regularly.