Spirited Away hash errors

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
tostarp

Spirited Away hash errors

Post by tostarp »

Hello! I've been running into some issues backing up my BD of Spirited Away (from the BD/DVD 2-disc collector edition). Keeps failing on 00327.m2ts, which appears to be the main movie (31.7GB on disc). Lot's of

Code: Select all

The source file '/BDMV/STREAM/00327.m2ts' is corrupt or invalid at offset XXXXXXXXXXX
before finally ending with

Code: Select all

005003:0000 Failed to save title 7 to file /run/user/1000/gvfs/smb-share:server=.local,share=media/Movies/Spirited Away/Spirited Away_t07.mkv
002023:0000 Encountered 503 errors of type 'HashCheck Error' - see http://www.makemkv.com/errors/hashcheck/
error=0x070B0D08 count=503 name=Internal error - M2TS hash check failed (3336)
I am on Linux and initially thought the problem was just not having the updated AACS libraries and keys (despite other successful BD rips), but I've gotten libaacs and the recent (? - from fvonline-db) KEYDB.cfg so it plays fine in VLC (other than no Java so no menus).

On the snap version, initially using the beta 1.17.5 release but realized Spirited Away was the first BD I had attempted to rip on that. Still seeing the same hash error on stable 1.17.4.

I have already cleaned the disc (dilute dish soap and a soft cloth). I'm using an LG WP50NB40 powered by two USB 2.0 ports, and for fun I did try plugging it into a 3.0 port, to no avail.

Getting the hash error checks on just ripping the ISO as well (the ISO can play fine of course in VLC). Guessing the disc is just toast? I do get grey artifacts when skipping around in a player - I assumed this was due to BD implementation in Linux but maybe related...
Woodstock

Re: Spirited Away hash errors

Post by Woodstock »

Hash check errors are usually read errors, so the first thing to try is cleaning the disk.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
tostarp

Post by tostarp »

Woodstock wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:00 pm
Hash check errors are usually read errors, so the first thing to try is cleaning the disk.
Thanks! I did try cleaning it with (very) dilute dishsoap, but I having not done it before I was maybe a bit too gentle. Are there any other cleaning recommendations that are good to try? Or should I just give up on the disc?

Unexpectedly, attempting to convert the ISO with Handbrake also failed, although it seems to be for reasons of decryption? Thought I had told MakeMKV to decrypt when backing up the disc...
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Do you have access to a different drive to try? I often see different results with the same disc in a different drive.
tostarp

Post by tostarp »

dcoke22 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:42 pm
Do you have access to a different drive to try? I often see different results with the same disc in a different drive.
Only the one BD drive. Seems like it would be cheaper to get a new disc than a second BD drive :lol: (realizing you're mentioning it should I have a second of course, thanks!)