Blu ray ripping drive

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
kenjo1882

Blu ray ripping drive

Post by kenjo1882 »

Hi all, I’m new to this and just setting up a dedicated PC with multiple drives to back up all of my Blu-ray and UHD collection. There is a lot of information which I found a bit confusing about which internal drives are required to rip just normal Blu-rays and DVDs.

Can someone explain if I need specific Optical drives to rip Blu-rays and DVDs? I know that it seems like you need specific drives for UHD disks, but I can’t seem to find any information on what is required for standard Blu-rays and DVDs.

Any advice would be much appreciated as I need to know which drives to buy just to rip my Blu-rays, and which drives I need to buy to rip my UHD discs.

Thank all
TPStricklin

Re: Blu ray ripping drive

Post by TPStricklin »

I have been using an Asus BW-16D1HT with a great deal of success for some time now. The drive is mounted in an OWC Mercury Pro and connected to a Mac mini. I have been happy with this setup. My Plex reports 1253 movies so we have been doing this for a while.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

kenjo1882 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:36 pm
Hi all, I’m new to this and just setting up a dedicated PC with multiple drives to back up all of my Blu-ray and UHD collection. There is a lot of information which I found a bit confusing about which internal drives are required to rip just normal Blu-rays and DVDs.

Can someone explain if I need specific Optical drives to rip Blu-rays and DVDs? I know that it seems like you need specific drives for UHD disks, but I can’t seem to find any information on what is required for standard Blu-rays and DVDs.

Any advice would be much appreciated as I need to know which drives to buy just to rip my Blu-rays, and which drives I need to buy to rip my UHD discs.

Thank all
Any blu-ray drive can rip BD/DVD. Only certain one's can rip UHD discs. To see which models are UHD compatible, see the guide: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19634
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
MeinIlhan

Post by MeinIlhan »

Hey kenjo1882,

Welcome to the world of Blu-ray ripping! It's great that you're setting up a dedicated PC for backing up your collection. When it comes to ripping standard Blu-rays and DVDs, you generally don't need specialized drives. Most standard optical drives should be capable of handling these formats.

However, it's essential to use reliable software for the ripping process. Make sure to check out popular tools like MakeMKV, DVDFab, or HandBrake. These applications provide user-friendly interfaces and are widely used in the community.

For UHD discs, the process is a bit more intricate. UHD discs often have enhanced copy protection, and you'll need a specific type of drive that supports Ultra HD Blu-ray (UHD-BD) to rip them successfully. These drives are typically labeled as UHD-friendly or UHD-compatible.

Before making any purchases, it's advisable to check online forums or communities dedicated to disc ripping. Users often share their experiences and recommendations for specific drive models that work well for Blu-rays, DVDs, and UHD discs.

If you have any more questions or need further assistance, feel free to ask. Happy ripping!

Best regards
I have been working as a Freelance Data Analyst and Freelance Research Analyst since this year. Just for info. I do a lot of data-based work here. I am also called Power Bi Developer.