Japanese Audio showing up as English - Mind Game (Masaaki Yuasa 5 Films) - No Audio Commentary - Missing Link

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
CoffeeDrinker

Japanese Audio showing up as English - Mind Game (Masaaki Yuasa 5 Films) - No Audio Commentary - Missing Link

Post by CoffeeDrinker »

So about a week ago, I ripped Missing Link on blu-ray, and for some weird reason, the audio commentary track was not showing up when I ripped it. I thought nothing of it, but now I'm wondering if 1.17.6 has some weird issues.
I recently bought The Masaaki Yuasa Five Films collection, and started ripping Mind Game (it's currently ripping.) A couple of odd things are happening:
1 - The 5.1 Japanese Soundtrack is listed as a 5.1 English Track. I haven't seen this film before, is there any English in it? While the other films include English dubs, this one is subtitle-only.
2 - A Japanese 2.0 soundtrack is on this disc as well. There is no 2.0 audio track available.

I encountered both of these problems with the new MakeMKV update. My operating system is a Mac OS 14.3
Just thought I'd report the weird stuff. On the product description that came with the box set, it stated that Mind Game had an audio commentary, but I found out that it was a select scene commentary, not a full featured one. So I didn't have an audio commentary detection issue like I did with the Missing Link blu-ray.
dcoke22

Re: Japanese Audio showing up as English - Mind Game (Masaaki Yuasa 5 Films) - No Audio Commentary - Missing Link

Post by dcoke22 »

I don't know about the movie Mind Game (2004), but reading your post made me wonder if either of those discs had a PiP track and/or a DTS-Express audio track?

https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22292
CoffeeDrinker

Re: Japanese Audio showing up as English - Mind Game (Masaaki Yuasa 5 Films) - No Audio Commentary - Missing Link

Post by CoffeeDrinker »

dcoke22 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:40 pm
I don't know about the movie Mind Game (2004), but reading your post made me wonder if either of those discs had a PiP track and/or a DTS-Express audio track?
Why would the fact that the disc has a picture-in-picture track effect what language is displayed for the audio? I was able to rip the bonus features, and one of them is an alternate track of the movie, with the storyboard animatic in the corner. However, this was a separate file, and far more compressed (only around 13 gbs)
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

CoffeeDrinker wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:02 pm
Why would the fact that the disc has a picture-in-picture track effect what language is displayed for the audio? I was able to rip the bonus features, and one of them is an alternate track of the movie, with the storyboard animatic in the corner. However, this was a separate file, and far more compressed (only around 13 gbs)
Because of your first sentence.
So about a week ago, I ripped Missing Link on blu-ray, and for some weird reason, the audio commentary track was not showing up when I ripped it.
If the packaging for the disc lists a commentary track, but it seems like it isn't there when MakeMKV loads the disc, then perhaps that commentary track is either part of a PiP track or a DTS-Express audio track, both of with MakeMKV ignores. Looking at the decrypted backup with the MKVToolNix GUI is one way to see it. I don't know if that's definitely the case, I'm just speculating.

As for a Japanese language track being listed as English, that's most likely a disc authoring error. When authoring a disc (or a .mkv file) you can give any audio track any language code you want. It is only by convention that we match language codes to the actual language spoken in an audio track.