Star Wars Subtitles - english

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
jewrrick

Re: Star Wars Subtitles - english

Post by jewrrick »

Woodstock wrote:Have you turned on debug logging (link in my signature says how)? Without error messages, any reply is a guess.

Sent the email, thanks for the direction.
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

I am relatively new at the BD ripping aspect. Dvds galore I have done.

As subtitles take very little space in themselves I have left enabled all the English (forced only) but I still have a question.
For "New Hope" when trying to rip I am presented with TWO choices for streams. As the disc was created in 2011 and is not Lionsgate, why the two choices? If I were to play the disc in my home theater I am not given two choices. Here's the choices Makemkv selects by default:
A) 00850.mpls @ 38.7 Gb / Segment map: 300,301 / Angle 1
B) 00301.m2ts @ 37.9 Gb / Segment map: 301 / Angle 1

I of course opted for the larger of the two but why are both selected by default?

The issue I am having when playing the actual disc in the home theater is audio dropouts, which I guess option A makes sense because the player is seeking between two segments and cannot maintain a constant bistream. It's an Oppo 103D feeding to a Denon AVR988 but still, wtf? Why the dropouts and or bistream bombs? You mean the only way to get a good movie experience is to rip the disc to a single stream off a usb flash or hard drive? I am very hypercritical about my viewing experience, I don't find flaws in the audio or video, they find me!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

First of all, BD subtitles are graphic images like DVD VOBSUB subtitles (officially called "PGS"), and what you will find varies among disk authors.

One track with all subtitles, but some flagged as "forced", for when the dub doesn't cover things like signs, would be what you THINK would be used, but it is actually quite rare in my experience.

One track with all subtitles, nothing flagged as "forced", which is either on or off, happens a lot (Viz Media's favorite way of doing things).

Two tracks, one containing everything, one containing just the "forced" subtitles, is the most common. If you want to have dual audio languages, you need both subtitle tracks, and you want the "forced" one to be the first one found.

More than two tracks per language happens - I had a disk today that has FOUR English subtitle tracks, including subtitles for two separate commentary tracks.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

Messing around a bit more - yeah it turns out the Oppo 103D (or any Oppo for that matter) will not recognize any sort of subtitle forcing.
Is there no easy way to burn in the alien dialog track without actually recoding the video itself? Maybe a merging or overlay process? I do not want to recode Ep. 4 as I am sure the studio knows what's best for PQ, just want to make sure the subs play when they're supposed to instead of remembering to enable the track with the remote on the Oppo.

Or would I be best suited with a HDLNA type situation, then there's no having to remember?
danjames92

Post by danjames92 »

For A New Hope

So I'm using Angle 1 for English.

I want english for the whole movie, forced english and whatever alien dialogue there is. Basically anything on screen that I should be able to understand, I want it there.

Would that be 2nd full english track and nothing else?
Frodofeet

Post by Frodofeet »

Hi, I'm currently backing up my discs of Episodes 1 - 3 with makeMkv and thought I'd share the tracks that were forced English subtitles for me.

Episode I - Track 47 - MKVExtractGUI trackname: The_Phantom_Menace_t01_track47_por.sup
(I don't know why it was flagged as Portugese)
Episode II - Track 16 - MKVExtractGUI trackname: Attack_of_the_Clones_t01_track16_eng.sup
Episode III - None!

Hope this helps someone else, If anyone knows Episodes 4 - 6 track numbers, I'd appreciate knowing!
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

discoteca wrote:My post is for just the alien dialogue in English, in other words what would be forced subtitles on a normal Blu-ray. The alien dialogue seems to be in its own full english track and not a forced track together with a full english track, hence the confusion with Star Wars Blu-ray subtitles.

Mac version of MakeMKV with Preferred language of eng : English

Star Wars: The Complete Saga - UK Blu-ray

Angel 1 = English intro text

1.) The Phantom Menace
Last full english track (Not the forced one) gets the alien dialogue, I can't see any other text so I think this is the correct track to select.
Can you indicate where in the actual movie this track takes effect? I want to make sure I got it right. I had thought the first time we meet Annakin, where they walk into Watto's store was such a scene, but apparently not. So who in this movie speaks alien and when, to where it is translated in English on the screen? Only other remote guess is Jabba again before the races.
Crunch_the_numbers

Post by Crunch_the_numbers »

For Phantom Menace, try Chapter 14, Watto's Shop.

If you pick the right track, you'll get Watto & Anakin speaking alien dialogue & you won't see any text at the top, indicating any of the production staff commentary.
lklassen

Post by lklassen »

discoteca wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:52 am
My post is for just the alien dialogue in English, in other words what would be forced subtitles on a normal Blu-ray. The alien dialogue seems to be in its own full english track and not a forced track together with a full english track, hence the confusion with Star Wars Blu-ray subtitles.

Mac version of MakeMKV with Preferred language of eng : English

Star Wars: The Complete Saga - UK Blu-ray

Angel 1 = English intro text

1.) The Phantom Menace
Last full english track (Not the forced one) gets the alien dialogue, I can't see any other text so I think this is the correct track to select.

2.) Attack of the Clones

3.) Revenge of the Sith
No alien dialogue?

4.) A New Hope
2nd full english track (Not the forced one) gets the alien dialogue, I can't see any other text so I think this is the correct track to select.
Last full english track (Not the forced one) gets the alien dialogue, but also other text is included so this is not the correct track to select!

5.) The Empire Strikes Back
No alien dialogue?

6.) Return of the Jedi
Thank you very much for this information. My movies had the subtitle tracks, but were not synching up correctly to the video. I RE-ripped my discs using the information you provided and now my subtitles are working correctly. And I was only interested in the Alien dialogue ('forced' English subtitle track). As you mentioned, it's not the actual 'forced' subtitle track we need to choose from the discs....when using Make MKV. - Thanks again for posting.
nicbwalker

Post by nicbwalker »

Hello,

I am having problems with these disks too. Which audio tracks are you using for UK audio, standard with dialogue but not audio description. I tried the obvious but the dialogue was inaudible.

Regards.