Hunger Games: which file to rip?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
thinksinc

Hunger Games: which file to rip?

Post by thinksinc »

Looking at the Blu-ray for Hunger Games, MakeMKV reports an unusually large number of Main Title files. You sometimes see this when a Blu-ray contains both the Theatrical and Unrated cut of a film, and you can generally tell which is which by the running time and there are only two obvious choices.

But The Hunger Games disc reports many (perhaps 15-20) Main Title, 16 Chapter files, with at least three different running times (2:23, 2:24, 2:25), making it impossible to determine which is the "right" file to rip.

Is this a new form of copy protection? I haven't tried ripping any of them because it's unlikely I'll choose the correct one at random, so I don't know if a rip would even work or just fail if this is a new scheme.

Anyone know which file to choose?
ArieS

Re: Hunger Games: which file to rip?

Post by ArieS »

Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

And this is nothing new.

You can use the BDInfo database to help pick the right playlist if it the disc has been scanned by someone.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1155731/new-u ... ons-thread

SC
DrChaos

Post by DrChaos »

1) Open the disk in MakeMKV and review the length of each large file that might be the main movie (i.e., 2:22:07, 2:25:23, 2:27:42, etc)
2) Go to IMDB.com and look up the movie's running time (142 min)
3) Calculate the hours/minutes of each track into run time (e.g., 2:22:07 ~ 142 minutes, 2:25:23 ~ 145 minutes, etc)
4) Identify the correct track based on the running time in IMDB (it is the 2:22:07).

This should work for every movie you encounter with this particular obfuscation scheme.

If you go to any of those other links, there is extensive, irrelevant, esoteric discussion. It will be like wading through a pasture of bovine manure.
MaDMaX**

Post by MaDMaX** »

thinksinc wrote:Looking at the Blu-ray for Hunger Games, MakeMKV reports an unusually large number of Main Title files. You sometimes see this when a Blu-ray contains both the Theatrical and Unrated cut of a film, and you can generally tell which is which by the running time and there are only two obvious choices.

But The Hunger Games disc reports many (perhaps 15-20) Main Title, 16 Chapter files, with at least three different running times (2:23, 2:24, 2:25), making it impossible to determine which is the "right" file to rip.

Is this a new form of copy protection? I haven't tried ripping any of them because it's unlikely I'll choose the correct one at random, so I don't know if a rip would even work or just fail if this is a new scheme.

Anyone know which file to choose?
did you get this sorted

i did, took me 24 hours from arrival of film in post! not good considering i ripped several other blu rays since then

I will post what i did, previous post states look at run time, for my disc that proved fruitless

i wont go into all the mis directions i went thru,

as per another post on here, I downloaded dvdfab pass key lite and installed it and restarted as per instructions

http://www.dvdfab.cn/passkey-lite.htm

load the blu ray into your drive, (exit any other software that is running like a blu ray player etc,

then lauch dvdfab passkey , the welcome screen asks what you want to do,

just select Lite(free) and then click on start dvdfab Passkey

it will load to the tool bar and do several runs of the disc,

it will then tell you what the run file of the disc is, mine was 0871

open MAkeMKv and do what you normally do to scan the disc, when it tells you you are running a decrypter etc just ignore any warnings and carrry on, when ready, go to the movie title list and right click and deselect all, and then run down the list until you find your file(mine was 0871 for UK retail blu ray) that dvdfab passskey stated was the movie file, and rip

hope it helps and not too confussing
eikki

Post by eikki »

thanks for the info
very useful to me!