MakeMKV has stopped being able to open Blu-Ray discs

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
TheMikeOfSteel

MakeMKV has stopped being able to open Blu-Ray discs

Post by TheMikeOfSteel »

Hello,

I’m new here and hope someone can help me.

I’ve used MakeMKV for many Blu-Ray discs. Today I tried to read the new Total Recall discs (either one theatrical or unrated) and ran into a weird problem. MakeMKV was unable to open the disc and has stopped being able to open any other Blu-Rays (even ones that I have successfully extracted in the past).

Here is the error message:

Can't read AACS VID from disc - most likely current AACS host certificate is revoked by your drive?The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted?Failed to open disc

I’m running Mac OS X 10.8.2

My drive is an external Pioneer BDR-XD04

Any ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated.
mike admin

Re: MakeMKV has stopped being able to open Blu-Ray discs

Post by mike admin »

What is the version of AACS on the main page (when you just launch MakeMKV) ? Did you click on the /?a link that the program wrote in the log window?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Please do the following - send the file called MKB_RO.inf from this disc to support@makemkv.com . This file is inside AACS directory and is exactly 1 MB in size.
TheMikeOfSteel

Post by TheMikeOfSteel »

Thank you for the reply.

I don't see a main page when I launch MakeMKV. It just goes straight to the application window. I am unable to find the "AACS" version anywhere. Is this because I'm using a Mac?

I did click on the link that says "This disc uses newer version of AACS protection. Please let us know about it by visiting..."

I just sent the MKB_RO.inf file.

I can understand why Total Recall won't work if its using some new type of encryption, but why won't any other discs read anymore?

Thanks again.
Jon Walker

Post by Jon Walker »

Having similar problems. Normally use an OWC Mercury (LG WH14NS40) drive to rip BDs. Inserted the TOTAL_RECALL_2012 BD (which appears to contain both the Theatrical and Extended videos as opposed to the PS3VOLUME which appears to contain the PS3 Game demo) and attempted to rip the main movies. Like others here, I received a series of error messages. Decided to check the forum here and noted others were having problems so I set the disc aside and began to rip other BDs. But instead of being able to rip anything, I continued to get more of the same error messages. Attempted this with five additional discs (Diary of a Wimpy Kid 1, Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2, Diary of a Wimpy Kid 3, Enemy of the State, and The Last Boy Scout/Last Man Standing) but kept getting the error messages.

Since I also had an older LaCie (Pioneer BDR-206) connected to my system, I then tried ripping the same discs in MakeMKV using that drive. Every one of them ripped normally so I assumed the main BD burner had died and proceeded to order a replacement unit. Once the order was placed, I then decided to try to rip Total Recall 2012 again using the older drive under the assumption that my first failure might be due to a malfunctioning optical drive. Nope... Got the same error message as with the first drive and guess what... Thereafter any BD I placed in that unit is now also giving me the error messages—including the five discs I had just successfully ripped.

At this point I began to get worried and a bit upset. While it is possible that two different drive might die after trying to read the same BD, this seemed highly unlikely. Therefore, I dug out my oldest BD drive—another LaCie but with the older Pioneer BDR-205 burner—and learned it could still rip the BDs that now could not be ripped on either my primary or my secondary drive. Needless to say, I have not tried to rip Total Recall 2012 on this last drive and will not do so until I find out exactly what is going on here.

Have tried re-booting my Mac platform and switched operating systems between Mountain Lion and Lion several times to see if this might "reset" the drives. It didn't. Also tried disconnecting and reconnecting the "bad" drives but I continue to get the same error messages if I try to use the MakeMKV app with them. BDs appear to mount normally to the system and content can be browsed at the Finder level but as soon as I try to use MakeMKV, I start getting errors as if the errors are now either cached by the app or the drives. Only the oldest drive seems to still get along with the MakeMKV app at this time. Very confusing... Especially since I can still rip the DVDs for all six videos mentioned above on the "bad" drives using either the RipIt or MTR apps.
iyyy69

Post by iyyy69 »

I had the exact same problem today... MakeMKV (registered) stopped working... the same disc from yesterday could not be opened today. Realized that MakeMKV had stopped automatically notifying me of updates... so I was on a version from several months ago (I think it was 1.7.7, but might have been even earlier, not sure). Updating to the latest version fixed the problem. If you're using a unregistered version of the latest version, you may need to update your beta key.

Hope that helps.
TheMikeOfSteel

Post by TheMikeOfSteel »

I was able to get MakeMKV to start decrypting Blu-Rays again by updating to the latest version. I thought I had the latest version installed, but apparently I did not. I also installed the DAPSI kernel extension (I hadn't been using it before).

I knew my external Blu-Ray drive didn't die because the discs were still mounting on my desktop. I figured it had to be something software related. It was definitely caused by trying the Total Recall discs though. Even with the older version of MakeMKV, I was able to decrypt new discs a few days ago (Bourne Legacy, Ted, TDKR).

I'm just happy that I can use MakeMKV again. I haven't tried Total Recall again and won't until I'm sure it's safe. Perhaps MakeMKV needs to be updated?
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

TheMikeOfSteel wrote:I haven't tried Total Recall again and won't until I'm sure it's safe. Perhaps MakeMKV needs to be updated?
Ripped it this morning, worked without issue.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
Jon Walker

Post by Jon Walker »

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Also running registered (never expire) copy of the MakeMKV app with 4 current drives all opening with DASPI v1.3 installed. Did check current installed vs latest version of app and also found I was running v1.7.71 and had downloaded but not installed v1.7.8 on my system. Since newer 1.7.9 was also now available, I download and installed it.

Partial good news. LaCie (Pioneer BDR-206) drive is back in action but the OWC Mercury Pro (LG WH14NS40) still partially TU. (Drive still mounts, reads, and plays DVDs but today will no longer mount any BD media.) Looks like I hid the daily double here with software update really fixing my original problem but with one drive failing even after routine lens cleaning. Since unit is much faster than other drives and is only 5 months old as of yesterday, will contact supplier about this issue while I await the replacement drive ordered yesterday.

In any event thanks for the solving the MakeMKV app mystery here.
iyyy69

Post by iyyy69 »

Well, I didn't mention it before, but I also tried to open TR yesterday... first disc I tried since two or so days ago. Now my assumption is that it's a coincidence - that either MakeMKV "broke" itself in the last couple days and TR just happened to be the first disc I tried... OR that MakeMKV needs AACS v35 support for TR, and when it didn't find it (using 1.7.71), it broke itself somehow. There's no way that MakeMKV attempting to open a specific BR disc can actual break a BR drive or corrupt something, is there?

There appears to be a pattern here, so I hope someone in the "know" can shed some light on this.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@iyyy69

Hi!

Have you tried updating MakeMKV to v.1.7.9?
iyyy69

Post by iyyy69 »

Hi setarip_old,

Yeah, you might have missed it, but a couple posts above in this thread, I explained that very solution! :wink:

Still would be interesting to understand what exactly happened here though.

Cheers!
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

iyyy69 wrote:Now my assumption is that it's a coincidence - that either MakeMKV "broke" itself in the last couple days and TR just happened to be the first disc I tried... OR that MakeMKV needs AACS v35 support for TR, and when it didn't find it (using 1.7.71), it broke itself somehow. There's no way that MakeMKV attempting to open a specific BR disc can actual break a BR drive or corrupt something, is there?
You've just experienced a fascinating "feature" of AACS called certificate revocation. Every Blu-ray disc contains a file that has a list of keys known to be used by "unauthorized" software. This list has a version number. The moment you insert the disc into your drive, the drive checks if the list is newer than the one it knows about, and if it is, the drive re-flashes itself (updates firmware). Total Recall has AACS v35 - the moment you've inserted the disc into the drive all versions of MakeMKV earlier than 1.7.8 permanently stopped working with this drive.

This revocation process happens the moment you insert the disc into drive - MakeMKV or any other software is out of the picture.
iyyy69

Post by iyyy69 »

Thanks Mike for the explanation - much appreciated!
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

Out of curiosity, would this revocation make the drive not even acknowledge(spin up, spin down, no disc displayed in Windows Explorer) the Bluray disc?

I had a drive that just stopped recognizing Blurays, and I'm wondering if it's still good, but just needs to be used with the newer version of MakeMKV?

SC