Only recording Blu ray audio commentary

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
watashi49

Only recording Blu ray audio commentary

Post by watashi49 »

I'm trying to copy episodes from Twilight Zone Season 1 Blu ray. Disc 1 has 7 episodes plus various bonus audio interviews and commentaries. There are just 7 large files (4+gb) and I have converted these with MakeMKV. Five of the conversions are perfect but two have just audio commentary instead of the main audio track. When playing the MKV files in DIVX10 the only audio options listed are 'English - 3/0 (Dolby Digital (AC3/A52))' and 'Off'. Can I do anything to record the two episodes either with more audio options or just the main audio track? As a complete newcomer I would be grateful for any advice!
Woodstock

Re: Only recording Blu ray audio commentary

Post by Woodstock »

Most likely, the commentary tracks are at a higher fidelity than the original audio tracks. I've seen this before when the regular audio track is mono or 2.0 stereo, and the commentary was recorded as 5.1. Default behavior for MakeMKV is to select the highest quality audio for a particular language.

You will have to manual select the regular audio for those titles. When you have the disk loaded, click on the little triangle next to the titles in question, which will open up details on the track's video, audio, subtitle, and other tracks. You can force it to take the skipped tracks then.

There are also ways to tell it to grab all audio tracks through the use of profiles.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
watashi49

Re: Only recording Blu ray audio commentary

Post by watashi49 »

I followed your guidance and found no fewer than 7 audio tracks for the single episode I wanted to copy. Second time lucky!

Thank you so much for taking time to reply to my question and for providing such terrific help.