Star Wars Subtitles - english

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
thelangs

Star Wars Subtitles - english

Post by thelangs »

I thought a new topic on which audio tracks to select for subtitles (english) might be inorder.

Here is my first entry.. Please feel free to add your results.

Episode VI - return of the jedi - all subtitles/forced off, third from the bottom english subtitle (see attachment)
Attachments
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (32.52 KiB) Viewed 117441 times
discoteca

Re: Star Wars Subtitles - english

Post by discoteca »

My post is for just the alien dialogue in English, in other words what would be forced subtitles on a normal Blu-ray. The alien dialogue seems to be in its own full english track and not a forced track together with a full english track, hence the confusion with Star Wars Blu-ray subtitles.

Mac version of MakeMKV with Preferred language of eng : English

Star Wars: The Complete Saga - UK Blu-ray

Angel 1 = English intro text

1.) The Phantom Menace
Last full english track (Not the forced one) gets the alien dialogue, I can't see any other text so I think this is the correct track to select.

2.) Attack of the Clones
Last full english track (Not the forced one) gets the alien dialogue, I can't see any other text so I think this is the correct track to select.

3.) Revenge of the Sith
No alien dialogue?

4.) A New Hope
2nd full english track (Not the forced one) gets the alien dialogue, I can't see any other text so I think this is the correct track to select.
Last full english track (Not the forced one) gets the alien dialogue, but also other text is included so this is not the correct track to select!

5.) The Empire Strikes Back
No alien dialogue?

6.) Return of the Jedi
Last edited by discoteca on Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:22 pm, edited 7 times in total.
DaveQ

Post by DaveQ »

thelangs:

This is a good idea, I guess... except that I had different results, and so did somebody else. Here's what I found when I ripped Return of the Jedi (copied and pasted from the other thread, but relevant here):
I ripped Return of the Jedi last night, and the correct subtitle track was NOT the last one. I have my preferences set in makemkv to default to "English," so makemkv doesn't rip all subtitle tracks... only those marked English. This resulted in nine subtitle tracks in the MKV. I found the correct set of subtitles was the second-from-last, or in my rip, track 8.

Things got even more complicated when I encoded with Handbrake, which doesn't understand subtitles in .sup format. I followed the procedures outlined on various forums and eventually ended up with a good encode with burned-in subtitles. (Burned-in is what I want for the forced subtitles on the Star Wars films, but it's about the same difficulty to end up with traditional subtitles.)
The person I was replying to claimed the correct subtitle track was the last one; I found the correct subtitles in the second-to-last one. You say third-from-last. The only explanation I can think of is that we all have different settings, resulting in slightly different rips?

EDIT -- CLARIFICATION: Okay... it appears you're referring to the full subtitles for the movie, not just the forced titles (alien dialog). discoteca (second post, above this one) is referring to the forced subs, which made me think you were too. Just want to be sure we're all on the same page. I'm referring to the location of the forced titles only.

Dave
PR-0927

Post by PR-0927 »

Well, for forced English subtitles only (just for the alien speech, like when Watto, Anakin, or Hutts speak Huttese), I had the following:
  • Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace - 6th English Subtitle
  • Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones - 6th English Subtitle
  • Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith - None
  • Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope - 2nd English Subtitle OR 5th English Subtitle
  • Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back - None
  • Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi - 6th English Subtitle

Hope this helps everyone! Was a lot of trial-and-error. I don't know why ANH has two potential subtitle choices. I found no difference. I chose the 2nd English Subtitle, rather than the 5th English Subtitle.

By the way, seeing as how these rips are roughly 35-36GB each (which is fine on my HTPC), I wanted to encode them to smaller files for transfer to my other computer. I tried Handbrake, but must have really screwed up something, because the resulting video lagged/stuttered all the way through. Sound was screwed up too (I chose the DTS track and chose DTS "through" or whatever it's called, and no subtitle tracks ever appeared in Handbrake). Wanted to crop the black bars out too, while keeping the same exact aspect ratio/horizontal resolution - guess choosing "Strict" was the wrong choice?

- PR-0927
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

PR-0927 wrote:By the way, seeing as how these rips are roughly 35-36GB each (which is fine on my HTPC), I wanted to encode them to smaller files for transfer to my other computer. I tried Handbrake, but must have really screwed up something, because the resulting video lagged/stuttered all the way through. Sound was screwed up too (I chose the DTS track and chose DTS "through" or whatever it's called, and no subtitle tracks ever appeared in Handbrake). Wanted to crop the black bars out too, while keeping the same exact aspect ratio/horizontal resolution - guess choosing "Strict" was the wrong choice?
HandBrake doesn't support Blu-ray PGS subtitles.
You will have to merge the subtitles from MakeMKV's output with HandBrake's output.

HandBrake 0.9.5 cannot handle DTS-HD in MKV (this is the most likely cause of your audio issue).
Since you apparently used "DTS Passthru", it's the most likely cause of the stutter issue as well.
The nightly builds can handle it (you can re-encode the DTS core or pass the whole track through).

Anamorphic Strict is completely unrelated to your issues (stuttering or otherwise); it just ensures
that the source's dimensions are strictly preserved (no scaling). Anamorphic Loose, on the other
hand, will adjust the width/height so that they divide evenly by 16 (but preserves the display aspect
ratio by adjusting the pixel aspect ratio).
jfkyle

Post by jfkyle »

Romansh wrote:HandBrake doesn't support Blu-ray PGS subtitles.
You will have to merge the subtitles from MakeMKV's output with HandBrake's output.
How do you merge the subtitles?
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

1) rip with MakeMKV -> makemkv.mkv

2) encode makemkv.mkv with HandBrake -> handbrake.mkv

3) use mkvmerge

--> add both makemkv.mkv and handbrake.mkv
--> deselect the video & audio from makemkv.mkv
PR-0927

Post by PR-0927 »

Oh, O.K., thanks guys - you're awesome!

- PR-0927
eNoize

Post by eNoize »

I'm still not having any luck with Return of the Jedi. :(
I ripped with all English subtitles marked, and still nothing. I checked with LAV, and it recognizes the subtitle streams are there but won't play a single of them, even after switching between them individually.

Any ideas? Thanks.
eNoize

Post by eNoize »

Never mind. Went ahead and did it the time-consuming way to burn the subtitles into the picture frame by demuxing the different streams, then through mkvmerge and finally handbrake.

It all works perfectly now. Wondering if I should do the same with the other discs just to be on the safe side.
captain

Post by captain »

By the way, I ripped every "angle" and discovered that each one is a different language. Even the beginning scroll is in each language! Angle 1 seems to be the original English version though.
jewrrick

Post by jewrrick »

I am trying to get the Angle 1 to rip and it keeps failing. Any suggestions?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

With no information as to what errors you're encountering, the answer is, "No".
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
jewrrick

Post by jewrrick »

Woodstock wrote:With no information as to what errors you're encountering, the answer is, "No".
It just tells me it failed.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Have you turned on debug logging (link in my signature says how)? Without error messages, any reply is a guess.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging