Started getting "Navigation Error" on ALL movies

Everything related to MakeMKV
rkmwpb

Started getting "Navigation Error" on ALL movies

Post by rkmwpb »

I use MakeMKV (64-bit) to convert DVD ISO's --to-- MKV's.

I've converted hundreds of movies using version 1.5.8 of MakeMKV, from two years back. I have never had an error, not once.

The ISO files are based on DVD-Shrink ISO's where the DVD is simplified (no menus, no extra tracks, etc). Again, using 1.5.8, there has never been a problem with this.

Most often, I do this using the command line:
MakeMKVcon64 mkv iso:F:\MyDir\MyMovieName.iso 0 F:\MyDir\MyMovieName

Last week, I upgraded to v1.7.2. Now, I get "Navigation Errors" for *every* .ISO that I attempt to convert.

To confirm this issue is related to newer versions, I have attempted to convert .ISO's that I previosuly had converted with MakeMKV 1.5.8. There was no problem in the original conversion, but now, using 1.7.2, I get the Navigation Error, using the same command line.

I attempted to downgrade, but now that I've had the new version installed, it claims I cannot use the old version any longer.

Here is an example of the error:
MakeMKV v1.7.2 win(x64-release) started
Title #0 (1:32:23) was skipped due to navigation error
Failed to open disc
I've tested in both the console and GUI version, same results in both cases.

Thank you in advance,
RKM
ryanjk333

Re: Started getting "Navigation Error" on ALL movies

Post by ryanjk333 »

As far as downgrading goes, you would only be able to do that if you purchased the program. If you buy it, you can download and install any version you want because you own it. But if you're just using the free beta, then you can only use the new version(s) because you are a beta tester and you aren't needed by the developer to test out an old version of the program. ;)

Sorry, someone else will need to speak for the changes that were made between 1.5.8 and 1.7.2 to help narrow down what's different now and is causing it to fail. Perhaps only the developer will be able to comment on this one....
MakeMKV registered!
LG External 12x Super Multi Blue Lightscribe Blu-Ray Rewriter BE12LU30
Popcorn Hour C-200
ryanjk333

Post by ryanjk333 »

Well, the revision history is located here, but I didn't see anything that really caught my eye as far as something that was changed that would cause your problems.

Code: Select all

http://www.makemkv.com/download/history.html
Probably gonna need some input from the developer, who may need a sample from one of your problematic discs.
MakeMKV registered!
Popcorn Hour C-200
twa000

Post by twa000 »

rkmwpb wrote:I use MakeMKV (64-bit) to convert DVD ISO's --to-- MKV's.

The ISO files are based on DVD-Shrink ISO's where the DVD is simplified (no menus, no extra tracks, etc). Again, using 1.5.8, there has never been a problem with this.
So what software did you use to DVD shrink?

As a workaround perhaps rip the original to MKV, then shrink.
ryanjk333

Post by ryanjk333 »

twa000 wrote:
rkmwpb wrote:I use MakeMKV (64-bit) to convert DVD ISO's --to-- MKV's.

So what software did you use to DVD shrink?

As a workaround perhaps rip the original to MKV, then shrink.
I'm sure he probably used DVD Shrink (that's the program name). It's really popular for converting DVDs down to make them fit on a single layer disc.

Code: Select all

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cd_dvd/copy_dvd/dvd_shrink.cfm
Yeah, re-ripping from the original source would certainly solve the problem....if he has easy access to the originals...
MakeMKV registered!
Popcorn Hour C-200
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

rkmwpb wrote:I attempted to downgrade, but now that I've had the new version installed, it claims I cannot use the old version any longer.

Here is an example of the error:
MakeMKV v1.7.2 win(x64-release) started
Title #0 (1:32:23) was skipped due to navigation error
Failed to open disc
I've tested in both the console and GUI version, same results in both cases.

/quote]

Please copy all IFO files from few discs like that, compress with any archiver and send to support@makemkv.com . You should be able to use 1.5.8, or any older version, if you enter current beta code. You may have two versions installed at the same time in different locations on the same computer.