Combining multiple titles to one movie.mkv file

Everything related to MakeMKV
mkanet

Combining multiple titles to one movie.mkv file

Post by mkanet »

Hi, would it be possible to add the feature to automatically combine multiple titles to a single movie.mkv file? Currently, I have to find a way to combine the files created with MakeMKV.
gelyon

Re: Combining multiple titles to one movie.mkv file

Post by gelyon »

I use mkvmerge GUI to do this, it works very well. It is part of mkvtoolnix. And here is a guide to using it.
mkanet

Post by mkanet »

Yes, I have no choice but to use mkvmerge gui for Windows. But, I really think this should be builtin and automatic. Who would want several mkv files for one movie? Almost always users would just want to convert a movie into 1 file... not several. I'm thankful for MakeMKV... I have a feeling this is a feature will be include final release of MakeMKV; especially, if it will be fore sale.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Can you please explain more? Normally entire movie should be in a single file. If it is not then this is a bug in program. Please provide more details.
Maxblast

Post by Maxblast »

I am not sure if mkanet meant this but I tried to convert a DVD with 4 episodes to one single MKV file but I got 4 separate MKV files.
I tried it a few times but still ended up with 4 files.
mkanet

Post by mkanet »

Yes, this shouldnt be a surprise to anyone that uses MakeMKV. This is the default behavior for anyone who tries this. But, I definitely agree, this is definitely a bug.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

MakeMKV extracts titles as they are encoded on the source disc. If it is a series disc and each episode is encoded as a separate title, that' what you get. If it is a single movie and it gets encoded as 4 files then this is a bug and I would ask for more details such as disc name and disc type - dvd or blu-ray.
Zippolighter

Post by Zippolighter »

mike admin wrote:MakeMKV extracts titles as they are encoded on the source disc. If it is a series disc and each episode is encoded as a separate title, that' what you get. If it is a single movie and it gets encoded as 4 files then this is a bug and I would ask for more details such as disc name and disc type - dvd or blu-ray.
I hope I understand you correct, but for my point of view, everytime if I use a BD to create mkv and select all titles, for each title a separat file is created. So it's now not possible to create one mkv file for a complete BD.

If this a bug, I can create logs from one or two BDs
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

We do not understand each other. Normally any disc, BD or DVD, contains multiple so-called titles. One of the titles is a main movie but additional titles usually contain trailers, interviews and studio logos - whatever was authored on disc. MakeMKV saves each title into separate files, as they are authored on disc.

Did you actually see a case where main movie was split into multiple files?
Zippolighter

Post by Zippolighter »

mike admin wrote:We do not understand each other. Normally any disc, BD or DVD, contains multiple so-called titles. One of the titles is a main movie but additional titles usually contain trailers, interviews and studio logos - whatever was authored on disc. MakeMKV saves each title into separate files, as they are authored on disc.

Did you actually see a case where main movie was split into multiple files?
No the main movie is in one mkv file. So I think this works fine.
Maxblast

Post by Maxblast »

Yes this is true.
My request would be to have the possibility to choose. For example, I have these DVD files with (usually) 4 episodes and I would like to convert these episodes into 1 mkv file.
But indeed the program works fine for single file movies.
gelyon

Post by gelyon »

A situation where this is useful is when a movie comes on two DVDs. You end up with two files for one movie. mkvmerge GUI works great for combining the files into one.
rainchild

Post by rainchild »

mike admin wrote:Did you actually see a case where main movie was split into multiple files?
Yes. Final Fantasy VII Advent Children has the entire movie as one title then the credits as a separate title. This is so it can pick either the "English" credits (if you watched the movie in English) or the "Japanese" credits (if you watched the movie in Japanese).

I'm not sure how common place it is - I imagine fairly rare - but it would be a useful feature for those handful of obscure movies in a collection... :)
NomadCF

Post by NomadCF »

While I agree it would be a nice option to have, You can simply join two or more MKV files together rather easily using mkvmerge.

Code: Select all

1. open the main MKV in mkvmergeGUI
2. Click on "append" in the upper right .
3. Select the next MKV in the order you want. 
4. Repeat Steps 2 though 3 until you've joined all said MKVs
5. Click on "Start Muxing"
6. Check said output file for any sync issues.
This can also be uses to join Multiple DVDs into 1 MKV (like the DVDs that make 1 movie in Lord of the rings).
rainchild

Post by rainchild »

True, and that's what I did right after posting... but if we don't ask we won't get... so consider it my +1 to the feature request :)