Flac transcoding crashing

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
Icanseestars

Flac transcoding crashing

Post by Icanseestars »

I've been trying out the Flac transcoding but haven't had any luck so far, seems to crash every time I try. I've changed builds of ffmpeg, different Blu-ray's and it makes no difference (audio track selected was TrueHD).

Running Windows 7 64-bit, used latest ffmpeg from zeranoe, it just crashes, asks to send error report then MakeMKV cancels the job.

I've attached the log if that can help.
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
(3.86 KiB) Downloaded 701 times
mike admin

Re: Flac transcoding crashing

Post by mike admin »

As of 1.7.7 MakeMKV comes with its own ffmpeg executable. Just clear the ffmpeg location in preferences and it'll revert to using builtin mmffmpeg.
holunder2

Post by holunder2 »

I have cleared the FFMPEG location in the settings but with 1.7.7 each time I try to convert to FLAC I get: "Unable to execute external program 'ffmpeg' as its path is not set in preferences". :/
MakeMKV 1.7.7 on 64-Bit Linux. BTW: What is the location of the mmffmpeg binary? Is it in the MakeMKV binary?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Linux is a special case - mmffmpeg comes pre-compiled only on Windows and Mac, for Linux you have to compile one yourself from source.
holunder2

Post by holunder2 »

@mike admin:
Will your 24 bit patch get into upstream in time? Have you sent the patch so the ffmpeg developers?
So long, a pre-compiled binary of mmffmpeg would be very handy on Linux too, because I have compiled and installed it and I'm still getting only 16 bit FLACs... Maybe I miss something, I don't know. :/
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

holunder2 wrote:@mike admin:
Will your 24 bit patch get into upstream in time? Have you sent the patch so the ffmpeg developers?
So long, a pre-compiled binary of mmffmpeg would be very handy on Linux too, because I have compiled and installed it and I'm still getting only 16 bit FLACs... Maybe I miss something, I don't know. :/
Justin (Ruggles) has a patch for 24-bit FLAC which looks a tad cleaner that the MakeMKV one. It's mostly ready and just needs cleanup, but it's not terribly high on his priority list.

In any case, since you can build from source, may I suggested applying the MakeMKV patch?

http://www.makemkv.com/download/ffmpeg/
holunder2

Post by holunder2 »

Hey,
the result that I still got 16 bit FLAC was as I had installed the mmffmpeg over my system's ffmpeg and I suspect this was the problem. So I made a fine Arch package and installed it into /opt and wrote

Code: Select all

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/mmffmpeg/lib /opt/mmffmpeg/bin/ffmpeg
into the FFMPEG location field in MakeMKV. When I run this in a terminal it works. But in MakeMKV the program freezes at conversion and even

/usr/lib/ld-2.16.so --library-path /opt/mmffmpeg/lib /opt/mmffmpeg/bin/ffmpeg
doesn't work. Then I tried to put this into a wrapper:

#!/bin/sh
[command 1 / command 2]
made it executable and set the FMPEG location to /home/username/.MakeMKV/mmffmpegwrapper.sh but MakeMKV still freezes at conversation.
I didn't applied the mmffmpeg patch from http://www.makemkv.com/download/ffmpeg/ because it is already integrated in the main archive. I think so. ;)

So, now I can't use mmffmpeg although it is installed. :/

EDIT: Oh, a friend told me, I need to set $@ at the end of the line, so

#!/bin/sh
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/mmffmpeg/lib /opt/mmffmpeg/bin/ffmpeg $@
works!! :) The wrapper is necessary, but it works now and I get 24 bit FLACs, yeah! :)
holunder2

Post by holunder2 »

Hey, I have sent the patch to ffmpeg devs, regardless of @Romansh's hint on another patch. They ask for the name of the author, please respond: http://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/ticket/210
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

This patch is Public domain. No copyright is claimed. Feel free to give a link to this page.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

holunder2 wrote:works!! :) The wrapper is necessary, but it works now and I get 24 bit FLACs, yeah! :)
When building ffmpeg, pass "--disable-shared --enable-static" to configure and you won't be needing any wrapper. The ffmpeg executable will be self-contained with no dependencies on any (non-system) libraries.
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

Romansh wrote:
holunder2 wrote:@mike admin:
Justin (Ruggles) has a patch for 24-bit FLAC which looks a tad cleaner that the MakeMKV one. It's mostly ready and just needs cleanup, but it's not terribly high on his priority list.
http://patches.libav.org/patch/29771/
holunder2

Post by holunder2 »

@Romansh: Wow, great! Thank you very much for you work! ?
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

holunder2 wrote:@Romansh: Wow, great! Thank you very much for you work! ?
I'm not Justin though ;-) :P