Samsung SE-506AB versus SE-506BB

Everything related to MakeMKV
Jeebs

Samsung SE-506AB versus SE-506BB

Post by Jeebs »

Hello,

I have a BT20N by LG (horrible, avoid...) that does not work well with MakeMKV. Seems to have some super special hardware :roll: built in that causes headaches, but only on about 10-15% of the disks. Long story with LG, more than willing to share the background if anyone desires.

Getting to the point... I have seen that the Samsung SE-506AB drive has had success from folks on the forum. That drive appears to be End of Life'd now. The Samsung SE-506BB has since replaced it. I am hoping that the difference is as simple as some small component's vendor changed... but I don't want to waste another $100 finding out.

Has any consistently/successfully used the SE-506BB drive with MakeMKV?

Thanks!
Jeebs

Re: Samsung SE-506AB versus SE-506BB

Post by Jeebs »

Just to follow up, the SE-506BB works just fine.
ShapeShifter

Re: Samsung SE-506AB versus SE-506BB

Post by ShapeShifter »

Hey Jeebs. I have a question about the SE-506BB and how it works with TV's and the like. From what I understand it acts like a external Hard drive for these type of devices. Unlike a standard external DVD or Blue Ray player that most non computer devices have support for.
some questions I would like to know the answer to are.
Does it act more like an external Hard Drive on non pc devices like A TV?
If it does work on such devices will they play the video formats for a standard DVD or Blue Ray Movie?
Or does it only read the file format and leave it up to the device to handle the playback?
Do you own a WDTV Live Hub?
I would love to see if plugged into a WDTV Live Hub if it could read the movies.
The WDTV does read DVD Folders that have been Described.
It would be even better if it could read the folders direct for the movies.
Any In-sigh would be great.
Also how much did you pay for your drive and where is a good place to get one?