the file is to big

Everything related to MakeMKV
amber1989711

the file is to big

Post by amber1989711 »

:? OK so im a n00b with this program. The file sizes for the two movies ive ripped have been 4gb ,ive used handbrake before this and all those movies were just under or over 1 gb. Ive tried unchecking all the unnecessary subtitles and audio tracks. Is there difference between mkv and avi files to make this big of a difference in size? Is there something im missing.... please help i liked them smaller.
setarip_old

Re: the file is to big

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!
Is there difference between mkv and avi files to make this big of a difference in size?

Sure there's a difference. Make MKV does not perform any compression, as that's not its purpose.

Am I correct in thinking that you personally haven't converted any DVDs to .AVI?
gorillos

Post by gorillos »

FILE TO BIG!

Is there any suggestion to make mkv file smaller ripping from makemkv? Last night I tried makemkv, ripping startrekII and I end up more 30 gigs of mkv file.
Help!
amber1989711

Post by amber1989711 »

Yes i have ripped dvds to .avi they were always much smaller using handbrake, i dont like the fact the the .mkv files are so large, so makeMKV will not make them smaller? is there a way to possibly incorporate handbrake into the process the make them smaller?
skittle

Post by skittle »

makemkv does NOT re-encode the video or audio. Use handbrake/mencoder/ffmpeg/x264 on the resulting mkv file from makemkv if you want to make it smaller.
gorillos

Post by gorillos »

BIG MKV FILES.

[Use handbrake/mencoder/ffmpeg/x264 on the resulting mkv file from makemkv if you want to make it smaller.]

Can you explain how to change the setting on my makemkv using handbrake???? :D

Thanks.
NomadCF

Post by NomadCF »

1. MakeMKV this is post does not support filters.
2. MakeMKV only takes the selected streams and saves them to into a MKV file(s).
3. Handbrake, Xvid4PSP, Super, etc. Are all 3rd party programs that will/can act on a MKV produced by MakeMKV.

Here is a simple run down (example) of how to compress a the streams in a MKV.

Code: Select all

1. Use MakeMKV to convert your disc into a MKV 
2. Open any 3rd party converter software what supports all reading (INPUT) a MKV with the stream types inside AND has the ability to OUTPUT to a file type you want (most likey a MKV) with the streams converted to what you want. 
    Examples:
      INPUT    : mkv, 2 steams (1 mpeg2 (Video), 1 ac3 (audio)
      OUTPUT : mkv 2 streams (1 h264 (video), 1 aac (audio)  

3. Setup said 3rd party software to OUTPUT/Convert/Save said file to what you want (aka to taste)
4. start the conversion
5. Check said OUTPUT file to make sure you like the quality and there are no audio sync issues.
6. Remove said INPUT file, if you want.  

OR to put it more simply:

Code: Select all

1. Covert Disc to MKV(s) with MakeMKV
2. Convert created MKV(s) with 3rd party software.
But in no way can you have MakeMKV compress/convert the MKV for you during OR after it's creating the MKV(s).
gorillos

Post by gorillos »

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR ANSWER. THAT'S WHAT I THOUGH, SO MKV FILES CREATED FROM MAKEMKV CONVERT FILES MAY USING MY DVDFAB7 TO MKV OR AVI.
THANKS AGAIN.