Rambo 2 bluray error

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
sac39507

Rambo 2 bluray error

Post by sac39507 »

This was posted before but there was no resolution.

I get this error:

Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-ROM ATAPI iHOS104 WL0D' at offset '24360777728

Disc is visually clean and plays fine in standalone player as well as PC player with Bluray software.

Obtained different 3 discs of the same movie and all behaved the same way.
Woodstock

Re: Rambo 2 bluray error

Post by Woodstock »

Playback software is allowed to skip unreadable sections, so you can have a "looks clean" disk that plays "fine" (you don't notice any glitches), but there are still unreadable sections of it.

Extracting one error message out of the log, the only guess is to wipe the disk down with a damp, soft cloth. If there are other errors that occur outside of the one spot, there are other possible causes.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
sac39507

Post by sac39507 »

What are the odds of having 3 movies doing the same thing? Must be a popular movie.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

There can be problems that will break MakeMKV, but they're usually surrounded by Debug messages, IF you have debug logging turned on (FAQ in my signature tells you how to do that). I had a disk that failed 3 episodes out of 12, no SCSI/POSIX errors, but lots of debug messages. Mike went through rather extraordinary steps to uncover the issue, narrowing it down to a few sectors on the disk that had weird data in them, to make it work.

As for the same error on multiple disks, if there is an error in the manufacture of the master of a disk, all disks stamped by that master will have the same error. I've seen this with one disk out of a five-season set of Hercules; even the copy Netflix had failed in the same location, until I dug out a DVD reader instead of a BD reader. The DVD reader could read a DVD that 3 different BD readers couldn't read 3 different copies of. The difference was in the laser.

But such errors usually extend to "lots", and getting the disk from another seller gets you a different manufacturing lot (most of the time).

If the error moves around a little, or you see errors and the location changes a few times before MakeMKV gives up, increasing the number of retries MAY make it work (Preferences->IO).

But I have 3 different BD players in two computers here (a 4th one available if things get desperate), when cleaning the (brand new) disk doesn't work. Every drive has microscopic variations in the alignment of components, within a narrow range. Sometimes such a minute difference is all it takes to see past an imperfection.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
WAYFLIX

Post by WAYFLIX »

Has anyone ever got this to work? I have tried 3 different Rambo 2 discs on 5 different computers and get nothing but read errors. This movie is truly copy proof.