Newbie here

Everything related to MakeMKV
Jmalvar919

Newbie here

Post by Jmalvar919 »

Hello all,

This will be my first time ripping Blu-ray movies. I have a decent collection of movies & TV Shows that I ripped using handbrake, I would like to expand my collection with Blu-ray movies now.

I'll be using an iMac 5K for my project, is there any known software similar to AnyDVD HD that can work on a mac?

I'll be obtaining the blu-rays from RedBox, are they any known issues that I should be aware with Redbox blu-rays?

Please advise, thank you.
yorgo

Re: Newbie here

Post by yorgo »

Jmalvar919 wrote:Hello all,

This will be my first time ripping Blu-ray movies. I have a decent collection of movies & TV Shows that I ripped using handbrake, I would like to expand my collection with Blu-ray movies now.

I'll be using an iMac 5K for my project, is there any known software similar to AnyDVD HD that can work on a mac?
MakeMKV includes de-encryption so that AnyDVD is not needed. I use AnyDVD anyway since I prefer it but it is not required if you're using MakeMKV.
I'll be obtaining the blu-rays from RedBox, are they any known issues that I should be aware with Redbox blu-rays?
Nothing specific with Redbox. Having said that, Redbox, like other rentals, has some discs manufactured for them so if you come across an obfuscated disc (ie, hundreds of playlists for the main movie to choose from, most incorrect and play the feature out of order, frequent issue with Lionsgate discs), the correct playlist number may not be the same one as on the retail or other rental equivalent. You may wish to keep an eye on the "Blu-ray error reports" board if MakeMKV does not list the correct playlist.
Please advise, thank you.
I'd recommend reading through the main MakeMKV website and scanning these forums, should help you get started. Also, google search beginning with "MakeMKV" and your question will bring up a surprising number of excellent answers on this forum.
Jmalvar919

Post by Jmalvar919 »

So I rented "How to be a Latin Lover" from redox, and I have a lot of titles. Any software I can use to pick out the correct one?
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

It's still a work in progress but MakeMKV can often pick up the correct playlist if you install Java Runtime Environment (JRE) on your computer and have MakeMKV point to it (View/Preferences/Protection, enter the location of JRE in "Custom Java Executable Location" field). Restart the program and see if it now displays something like "Main Feature". Keep in mind it doesn't always work or work consistently.

There are other ways of doing this as well. I like AnyDVD (one of a couple reasons I use it with MakeMKV but I also do not often buy discs which have playlist obfuscation), there are others, google the forum for what's available.

Lastly, specific to the title you rented: http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16502
Jmalvar919

Post by Jmalvar919 »

yorgo wrote:It's still a work in progress but MakeMKV can often pick up the correct playlist if you install Java Runtime Environment (JRE) on your computer and have MakeMKV point to it (View/Preferences/Protection, enter the location of JRE in "Custom Java Executable Location" field). Restart the program and see if it now displays something like "Main Feature". Keep in mind it doesn't always work or work consistently.

There are other ways of doing this as well. I like AnyDVD (one of a couple reasons I use it with MakeMKV but I also do not often buy discs which have playlist obfuscation), there are others, google the forum for what's available.

Lastly, specific to the title you rented: http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16502
Thank you very much.