decrypting ISO of a blue ray movie made on a PS3

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
uia80

decrypting ISO of a blue ray movie made on a PS3

Post by uia80 »

Hi,

I created an ISO of a Blu-ray movie ("Cars") on a PS3 with multiMAN. I would like to be able to play it back on the same exact PS3. PS3 experts suggest that I decrypt it on a PC. I tried it with makeMKV, but I get an error "The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted. Failed to open disc". I own the original blu-ray disk, but I don't have a blue ray drive in the PC, only in the PS3.

Is there a way to decrypt that ISO on a PC with makeMKV and create decrypted ISO?
Is there a way to replay the encrypted ISO on the same exact PS3 it was created?

Thanks.
Woodstock

Re: decrypting ISO of a blue ray movie made on a PS3

Post by Woodstock »

You would need to find a file with the volume key for the particular BD listed in it, and put that file into your MakeMKV data directory.

There is a method to use the original disk to create the decryption information, but Mike's notes on it indicate that the drive the ISO was created with needs to be the one you use to extract the encryption information. I cannot say whether or not that is true; and without a BD drive attached to the machine running MakeMKV, you can't even try it.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
uia80

Post by uia80 »

I can access files on the disk inserted in the drive through ftp. I can copy files to the PC using SCP. Will it help?
Also, I found KEYDB.cfg that has 4 different kets for this movie. I put in in the same folder with makemkv.exe, but nothing has changed. What is the proper format and place for this file?
Thanks.
uia80

Post by uia80 »

Just put the file into C:\Users\...\.MakeMKV. No difference.
Ant93

Post by Ant93 »

You shouldn't be using a PS3 to make backups of commercially released movies, use AnyDVD, DVDFab or MakeMKV on a PC with a blu-ray drive instead to create a full decrypted .iso backup of any particular disc and do what you like with the resulting file (usually around 40-50GB for BD movies!), such as burning it to a blank BD-50 disc which can then be played on any commercial blu-ray player!

Also, its laughable that you're trying to use a PS3 for this purpose, its very outdated hardware now, I suggest you sell it and put the money towards a superior PS4 or PS4 Pro!

Using a PS3 in 2018 is a bit like using a PC with Windows XP on it, they are no longer supported or developed for, upgrade your hardware man... :lol:
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

There are parts of the AACS puzzle that cannot be obtained via FTP to a remote drive. They aren't really "files" to read, just locations on the disk, which the operating system generally won't let programs see. It is those things that end up in a file MakeMKV creates during a disk backup.

You really need a BD drive attached to the PC. And, at this point, getting one that is UHD-friendly would be worthwhile.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging