Feature Request - Open/Edit a MKV

Everything related to MakeMKV
Logman

Feature Request - Open/Edit a MKV

Post by Logman »

I was wondering why MakeMKV can not open/read a MKV file?
If I have a Mkv file which I didnt create, I would like to use MakeMkv to remove items from the Mkv (subTitles/Audio Tracks etc...)
I know I can use other applications to do this, but being able to use just MakeMkv would be great.

Btw, I love MakeMkv... simple, easy to use and does the job well
Excellent job

logman

oh, I did try to search this forum to see if question was asked before, but didnt find anything
Qriist

Re: Feature Request - Open/Edit a MKV

Post by Qriist »

While there is no doubt whatsoever that MakeMKV is perfection when it comes to CREATING matroska files, for editing them there really isn't anything better than MKVToolNix.

Get it here:http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoo ... loads.html
Logman

Post by Logman »

uhm, yes MKVToolNix can do it... I use it for that very thing (editing mkv files)
but why not have MakeMKV edit the mkv files, its not like MakeMkv Can't do it.

MakeMkv parses the output, it can parse the input
you use the same library for importing and exporting

like I said, I'm just wondering why it has never been implemented.
Its like Ms Paint not being able to load BMP images, but can save them :)

Logman
skittle

Post by skittle »

^because the developers likely dont want to have to recreate the wheel ;) Not to mention having to write input parsers for so many different file types!
Logman

Post by Logman »

they are not actually recreating the wheel, sense they already use the ebml/mkv lib for output. If you can write, you can read. Plain and simple.
MKV is in the name of the product, just really odd that they cant parse the input

If I had the time I would create an app just to edit mkv files, but then I would add the same features MakeMKV has... but then I would be recreating the wheel with the added function of editing mkv files =)
but I dont have the time right now

if this app does go commercial I wouldnt buy sense it does not have everything I want, and this app definitely needs mkv editing functions
and with the admin ignoring this thread does not bode well either :?
Marc_G

Post by Marc_G »

Logman wrote:they are not actually recreating the wheel, sense they already use the ebml/mkv lib for output. If you can write, you can read. Plain and simple.
MKV is in the name of the product, just really odd that they cant parse the input

If I had the time I would create an app just to edit mkv files, but then I would add the same features MakeMKV has... but then I would be recreating the wheel with the added function of editing mkv files =)
but I dont have the time right now

if this app does go commercial I wouldnt buy sense it does not have everything I want, and this app definitely needs mkv editing functions
and with the admin ignoring this thread does not bode well either :?
@Logman: Since there is a free and well-supported solution to the editing need (the MKVToolnix package), why should the authors of MakeMKV spend valuable time working on redundant functionality? I'd rather have that time spent doing things for which I don't currently have a good solution. And it has gone commercial, as you can buy a registration key. You just don't yet have to buy the key.

Your argument is odd. It's like saying you won't buy a waffle iron because it's not also a microwave.

MakeMKV is designed to do one thing: rip MKVs off DVD/BD discs. I was actually surprised when Mike put in the backup/streaming functions which seemed non-core to me. But they are "high demand" features. Editing existing MKVs is probably a low-demand feature which explains why Mike isn't spending much time on this thread.

Marc
tony55

Post by tony55 »

I would like to add my comments to this question. Yes, Mkvtoolnix does mux and de-mux MKVs. However, their de-muxing and remuxing gui's really need some work done on them. For de-muxing MKVCleaver works great but the gui included with MKVToolNix has always been iffy and the only remuxing gui for MKVToolNix is the MMG gui included with the download. The MMG gui works well with H264 BRs but, it usually doesn't work well with VC1 or Mpeg4 video BRs. A number of other users besides myself have indicated on other sites that the MKVToolNix MMG gui remuxes a working MKV in such a way that it will no longer work with the Seagate Fat+ player.

I have found that these remuxed files will take slightly longer to load in my computer players and my WD player can take up to 20 seconds to load one of these remuxed files.Once loaded, in my computer players or WD player, the file will play fine. However, my Seagate player doesn't have the patience of my WD, it just gives up and freezes.

My solution is to take the not working MKV, load it into TSMuxer, convert the MKV to BluRay and re-insert back into MakeMKV for a once again working MKV that loads in 1to 2 seconds.

So as far as re-inventing the wheel goes, the gui part of the wheel is broken, and so far, it hasn't been fixed.

Tony
animebuster

Post by animebuster »

Although this would be handy (Doing everything with one program) This is not what MakeMkv is for and not what the developers want it to be for, and in the end of the day we all have to respect their wishes.
Logman

Post by Logman »

Marc_G wrote:
@Logman: Since there is a free and well-supported solution to the editing need (the MKVToolnix package), why should the authors of MakeMKV spend valuable time working on redundant functionality? I'd rather have that time spent doing things for which I don't currently have a good solution. And it has gone commercial, as you can buy a registration key. You just don't yet have to buy the key.

Your argument is odd. It's like saying you won't buy a waffle iron because it's not also a microwave.

MakeMKV is designed to do one thing: rip MKVs off DVD/BD discs. I was actually surprised when Mike put in the backup/streaming functions which seemed non-core to me. But they are "high demand" features. Editing existing MKVs is probably a low-demand feature which explains why Mike isn't spending much time on this thread.

Marc
there are also free tools to create MKV files, makemkv app is redundant itself in your argument.
microwave? I wont buy a waffle iron because the waffle iron can not reheat a waffle. WAffle iron and microwave are completely differrent. A program that can SAVE MKV files can LOAD MKV files. Its like a handgun, you wouldnt want a handgun that fired bullets but you cant load bullets into the handgun.

the streaming is useless, when there are lot better free apps out there.
Logman

Post by Logman »

animebuster wrote:Although this would be handy (Doing everything with one program) This is not what MakeMkv is for and not what the developers want it to be for, and in the end of the day we all have to respect their wishes.

true post, if the developer doesnt want it then fine IF ITS FREE. Pay $50 is another thing
tony55

Post by tony55 »

Aside from my previous remarks re: some problems with the MKVToolNix GUis, I think it might be useful to mention that
MakeMkv creates MKV files that usually need further massaging. The PGS sub is not something that works with most players. So in most cases, I just leave it in and just mux it out enough to create a srt. My resulting file will still have the worthless pgs within it but it's now also accompanied by an external srt.

The DTS dilemma is a bit different because most media players wont access and ecternal AC3.

As an update, I might also mention, if it's of any aid to anyone, that I have been having success with using DVD passKey to rip my BRs right into TSMuxer. Using TSMuxer I demux the main TS file into its parts make what ever changes I need (re-chapter, internal SRTs and AC3 audio) and use MKVMerge(MMG)to create a working MKV. Evidently, it's more a problem with the splitter than the muxer. All of this without even using MakeMKV. Now that I don't like to do but it's quick and it works. MakeMkv is something I really like. But for BRs that need massaging , it's quicker not to use it.

The MKVToolNix bundle works well for the re packagers who provide their own GUIs, but even as late as their new release 411, MKVExtract still yields a chapter size of 0 bites when chapters are extracted. And for months on end, each version of MKVToolNix included a version of MKVExtract that wouldn't even load.

I would like to see the MKVToolNix GUIs updated. That would be the best solution. Second best would be for TSMuxer to include MKV as one of its outputs as it already accepts it as an input or to have MakeMKV accept MKVs as an input.

Third solution would be for MIKE to call the MKVToolNix people and ask them to fix their GUIs because they sure don't listen to me.

Just my personal feelings.

Tony
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@tony55

Hi!

I believe you'll find that the problem displaying PGS subtitles from MKV files has nothing to do with MakeMKV.

It has, until recently, been a deficiency of the software players.

VLC v.1.1.0, as well as several other players (that use, I believe, "ffdshow"), now happily display the PGS subtitles...

MilesAhead

Post by MilesAhead »

afa the WD player goes, I don't know what generation or version you have, but I have Gen1 WD HDTV for USB. If I end up with an .mkv file I want to play on it, I routinely remux it to .m2ts. Someone claimed the .m2ts support is in hardware rather than firmware and that's why it handles it better. Another theory is .mkv with h264 works ok but with VC1 you have problems. All I know is .m2ts seems to run smoother. When I can I burn in the subs with BD Rebuilder or Quick AVI Creator. The WD player just drops sub sync way to easy for external sub files. At least mine does.

Afa adding a bunch of new features, as a programmer myself I can tell you the more stuff you introduce the more side effects you get and the more you have to maintain. Even small apps there's so many interactions it can drive you nuts. For a one man job it's best to keep it small. It's not like you have a testing department, marketing department and software development offices in 3 cities. It's one guy trying to do it all.
tony55

Post by tony55 »

@ setarip_old

I agree with you completely about the PGS subtitles. However,It's a problem that really may not be fixed in Media players for quite a while. MilesAhead mentioned his WD and TS and M2ts files playing PGS. Mine does also but the problem with ts files is that with them you loose chapter support. So to have subtitle support and chapter support the only thing that does the job now is MKV files.

My Seagate player has the ability to adjust the size and location of srt files.So, I prefer them to PGS anyway.So even though I don't use them, to remove them from my MakeMKV generated MKV takes quite a bit of effort.

Most of my above Rants are just my frustration with the inability to make de-muxed and re-muxed HD MKV files without having to go back and forth First with a MKV than with de-muxed stream files than back to MKV than back to a BR conversion to re-insert into MakeMKV so I can get a proper MKV.

None of this is the fault of MakeMKV and if MakeMKV did allow for MKV input and shortly thereafter MKVToolNix fixed their GUIs than those efforts by MakeMKV would in a sense be wasted.

Tony
tony55

Post by tony55 »

So, after having written the above, I go over to VideoHelp.com and notice that MKVCleaver has introduced a new version today.

Maybe, It might provide all the fixes I need. One can hope.

Tony