... Here's a thought ...

Everything related to MakeMKV
ndjamena

... Here's a thought ...

Post by ndjamena »

Is it possible to limit the number of threads a new user can create?

To be honest, I don't see any reason even the most seasoned forum member should feel the need to create more than five in a single day.
Woodstock

Re: ... Here's a thought ...

Post by Woodstock »

With this software, there is an option to put all new users into a "new user group", and then force all messages by that group to require moderation. That's why you often see people doing "nonsense posts", replying to topics with "that really worked for me" or "thank you for posting that", to get their post count up above the moderation limit.

In most cases, the spammers are posting links, and the moderation flag kicks in here. You know that when you see a forum has "unread posts", but you can't see them (unless you're a moderator). These spammers aren't making their links appear like links, so that isn't kicking in. I would guess it is mainly to get their google rankings up.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Opentoe

Post by Opentoe »

ndjamena wrote:Is it possible to limit the number of threads a new user can create?

To be honest, I don't see any reason even the most seasoned forum member should feel the need to create more than five in a single day.
What are you talking about? If you don't want to read something just skip it and move on. Unless I'm missing something.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The issue is with spammers that put up 1, 5, or 30 messages in quick succession, sometimes offering things like forged documents, cheap drugs from Korea, counterfeit golf clubs, etc., rather than things pertaining to MakeMKV.

There are ways to slow that down, but no way I've found in administering forums (for far too long) to STOP it.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging