What most affects Ripping/Encoding speed? CPU? Video?

Everything related to MakeMKV
chaslinux

What most affects Ripping/Encoding speed? CPU? Video?

Post by chaslinux »

What would be the best way to improve the overall ripping/encoding of a blue ray? I'm thinking of upgrading my system and since I mostly use it for archiving my media I'd like to optimize what I buy for this process.

What affects the entire process the most?

a) Raw CPU speed/core count?
b) CPUs with large cache's (e.g. XEON E5-2670 which has 20M cache)
c) A specific video card with particular instructions that help encoding?
d) Faster Blueray drive?

Currently running this (minus the video card and with only 16GB RAM): http://pcpartpicker.com/list/6wFgbv
The Blueray drive is a Pioneer BDR-206

Cheers and thanks all!
SamuriHL

Re: What most affects Ripping/Encoding speed? CPU? Video?

Post by SamuriHL »

None of that makes any difference. You need a fast blu-ray drive and fast hard drive or ssd to rip to. You're not encoding anything with MakeMKV so the video card and CPU are irrelevant.
Woodstock

Re: What most affects Ripping/Encoding speed? CPU? Video?

Post by Woodstock »

Ripping with MakeMKV is affected by the speed of your BD drive and the write speed of your disk system. Very little else matters, because ripping is not particularly CPU intense. I used to regularly rip on a 2-core Dell with a DVD and BD drive, seeing speeds in excess of 8x on both drives at the same time.

Encoding is a different thing, though, and CPU cores count there. A 4-core AMD is slower at encoding than a 4-core Intel, because the Intel chip operates as if there are 8-cores. Encoders built on the x264 libraries like 6-8 logical cores.

Right now the encoding speed war is being won by Intel chips. You can go wild with the latest i-series chips and get access to Quick Sync Video (QSV), which can encode at high speed, but at bigger file size and/or lower overall quality than the software-only x264 coder.

The AMD will work fine, but it is going to be about 30% slower than the same-speed 4-core Intel for software encoding.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging