Subtitles aren't showing up in Avatar

Everything related to MakeMKV
MrTeagan

Subtitles aren't showing up in Avatar

Post by MrTeagan »

Ripped the English subtitles on my MKV of Avatar. Then in Handbrake had it detect the foreign language track, but no subtitles are showing up anywhere.
Director
setarip_old

Re: Subtitles aren't showing up in Avatar

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

Although I've never used "Handbrake", I'd guess that like MANY other video conversion programs, it's not capable of processing the PGS/SUP graphic subtitles that are the type found in commercial BluRay discs...
MilesAhead

Post by MilesAhead »

Handbrake used to burn in subs but the latest version claims soft sub support. But I see no mention of PGS. Your best bet is probably to convert to .srt subs. Then Handbrake can add them as selectable or burned in.
MrTeagan

Post by MrTeagan »

OK, how do I do that? I'm sorry, I'm not that advanced yet but I am a quick learner.
Director
MrTeagan

Post by MrTeagan »

Can someone just point me in the direction of the SRT file already done for Avatar?
Director
Muzer

Post by Muzer »

Yeah, we really need a FOSS media player to support BD subs. I might ask on the MPlayer IRC or forum if nobody else has.
MrTeagan

Post by MrTeagan »

I am just trying to get them to show up on Apple TV.
Director
MilesAhead

Post by MilesAhead »

MrTeagan wrote:OK, how do I do that? I'm sorry, I'm not that advanced yet but I am a quick learner.
If you search this forum it's been described several times how to extract the PGS subs from .mkv and open them in BDSup2Sub etc.. Just search.

Google is your friend.
MrTeagan

Post by MrTeagan »

Already done on here and Google but I'm a mac only user and there doesn't appear to be a mac friendly solution.
Director
NomadCF

Post by NomadCF »

Here I did these my self, 1 is full eng sub and the other is the Navi only speaking.
EDIT by Mike: While appreciating the effort of every member, posting copyrighted works (or something that powers of this world consider their copyrighted works) on this forum will only bring more trouble to us all. Attachment deleted, sorry guys.
MilesAhead

Post by MilesAhead »

MrTeagan wrote:Already done on here and Google but I'm a mac only user and there doesn't appear to be a mac friendly solution.
According to this, MKVToolnix runs on Mac. That's the essential command line tool the Gui front ends are using:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MKVtoolnix
MrTeagan

Post by MrTeagan »

Nomad - thank you!
Director
MrTeagan

Post by MrTeagan »

Nomad:

Under handbrake to have them show up for the Navi dialogue only, do I check Forced Only or Default? Burned in is greyed out.
Director
MrTeagan

Post by MrTeagan »

Nevermind. I got it. Added them in Subler and works perfectly. Thank you so much!
Director
MrTeagan

Post by MrTeagan »

Is there a way to have them burn in so they are on every time the Navi speak? On Apple TV, the subtitles must be enabled in setup. On iPad, the subtitles don't show up at all?
Director