Partial RIP / preview

Everything related to MakeMKV
cividan

Partial RIP / preview

Post by cividan »

Hi, i'm new to ripping Blu-ray and I'm ripping a BD that has 9 differents angle on it (Star Wars), I searched and understood what are the different angle used for. Now I want to know if there is a way for me to do a partial RIP (like first 5 min) of the BD or a preview cause now I'm on my 4th rip of the same disk to try and find the angle that contain the french text version on screen in it. After that I will want the other 5 discs conained in my box and will have to do again the same process of finding the correct angle for the each disc and waiting 2-3 hours for the RIP to complete to figure out I have the wrong version and starting the process over again. Any help or hint on how to find what angle return what result would be really appreciated. I enabled the advanced preference but I'm not familiar with the setting used there to understand if I can put some setting to rip only partial instead of the whole process.
Woodstock

Re: Partial RIP / preview

Post by Woodstock »

Since you've already found and posted in a 9 year old topic asking for the same thing, I doubt it's going to happen.

Your specific case of Star Wars is already covered by the "Disney Rule" for playlists, where once you find the number on one disk, it's the same for all others. I just can't remember if French or Spanish is 00801 and which is 00802...

Unless you're super tight on disk space, ripping ALL the tracks has worked best for me, because I only have to set up MakeMKV once.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

Best strategy for unknown multiple angle Blu-rays is to perform an decrypted backup. This is much more faster as creating nine mkv files, because most of the movie is the same and must not be read/copied nine times. After this go to the backup folder and select the STREAM older. Now open the created backup with makmkv (the index.bdmv file) and check the segement maps (shown in the right window) for the titles and go to the xxxx.m2ts file and view them. If you find the correct file for your language you know the mpls which must be ripped directley from the backup.
Good Luck :)

Post by cividan »

Grauhaar wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:19 pm
Best strategy for unknown multiple angle Blu-rays is to perform an decrypted backup. This is much more faster as creating nine mkv files, because most of the movie is the same and must not be read/copied nine times. After this go to the backup folder and select the STREAM older. Now open the created backup with makmkv (the index.bdmv file) and check the segement maps (shown in the right window) for the titles and go to the xxxx.m2ts file and view them. If you find the correct file for your language you know the mpls which must be ripped directley from the backup.
Thanks for the helpfull reply, I searched and found how to create a decrypted backup and I'm doing one now, this sound much better than ripping all 9 angles. I will report back with my result.
Vogel

Post by Vogel »

i got the backup done but can't get the files to play. vlc won't run them and so won't windows media player. i tried opening them with handbrake but that wouldn't work either... and if i got them to run what would i look for exactly?
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

Yeah, VLC did not play M2TS files, no idea why not. But Windows Mediaplayer works.

Comparing of the title segment maps f.e:

Title 01 has map 1,10,5,9
Titel 02 has map 1,11,5,9
Titel 03 has map 1,12,5,9

As you see, the segments (Streams) 1,5 and 9 are included in all titles, no need to lock in it. But each title has a different segement one, 10, 11 and 12. You must look into stream 00010.m2ts, 00011.m2ts and 00012.2ts, the difference can be anything but in most cases it is the title in foreign language or other translations. If you found the stream for your language you know the title which should be ripped.

Post by Vogel »

windows media player won't play them either, it gives me an error.. :/
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

Windows Media Player playes M2TS content on my WIn 10 System. You can also use "Movies & TV" from Microsoft.

Edit: Just tested it with VLC, it works also. No idea if the support was added in one of the last versions.

Sure that this is a decrypted backup and that you have selected an "..../BDMV/STREAM/xxxxx.M2TS" file?

Post by Vogel »

i use win7. my vlc is up to date. it just wont work