Please post your success with FULL disc backup

Everything related to MakeMKV
setarip_old

Please post your success with FULL disc backup

Post by setarip_old »

I just wanted to mention that I've used the new FULL disc backup capability (decrypted) of MakeMKV to make fully playable (menus, main movie, extras) versions of the BluRay discs ""Surveillance", "Precious" and "Planet 51".

Kudos to Mike, for a job well done!

(I'd suggest that, in order to avoid any unwanted access to your computer or standalone player via "BD Live!" or otherwise, disconnect from the Internet, Ethernet, hairnet, or any other net when playing these discs.)

I then used BD Rebuilder to compress each of these more than 40Gb "packages" to DVD9, with no loss of functionality, and no discernible difference in visual quality.

And then, just for kicks, I used multiAVCHD to convert the movie-only portions to HD-DVD, also with no discernible difference in visual quality.

Feel free to add your own success stories to this thread regarding MakeMKV's new FULL disc backup capability...
Last edited by setarip_old on Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Claudio

Re: Success with new FULL disc backup

Post by Claudio »

I too had success with the new Full Backup feature and Blu-Ray. I ended up with the same file as I got using backup with AnyDVD HD, which is a big relief for me because that one program was the only reason I was running Windows 7.
The problem is I'm running OS X and there is no program (I use Plex and VLC) that will read Blu-Ray menus in OS X.
I tried PowerDVD 9 Ultra in Parallels/Windows 7 and got a error message saying that my processor and graphics card were not up to par using my 2.33GHz MacBook Pro.
Marc_G

Post by Marc_G »

Hey folks,

On the Windows side, how exactly would one use these full backups to play the disc (with menus etc.)? What player software works with the files? Arcsoft TMT?

The reason I ask is that my player software (PowerDVD 7.3) seems to be crippled in that it appears to be disabled in terms of playing from file functionality. I've poked around and used it's source selector to navigate to the MakeMKV-produced folder, but it didn't seem to latch on to anything to play.

What I've done in the past is use AnyDVD to make an .iso and then when I want to play the disc, mount the .iso in Virtual Clone Drive. This done, it appears to PowerDVD just to be a real disc in a real drive and PowerDVD plays it fine.

Based on the limitations of my player, I've been a fan of .isos for content that has forced subtitles or other features that are easier to use from the "disc" in regular play mode versus just ripping out the .mkv. Can MakeMKV make an .iso? I might have missed something.

I appreciate any guidance. Thanks!

Marc
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@Marc_G

You're mixing terms (play disc, disabled file functionality) - but I think I understand you ;>}

The functionality that "disappeared" from most versions of PowerDVD was the ability to playback a complete BluRay FOLDER from the hard drive, as if it were a disc (starting with the active menu). It still has the ability to play the individual .M2TS files from your hard drive. And, of course, it will still play actual discs (commercial or backups).

Additionally, as you've noted, it will recognize a mounted .ISO image file as being a disc - and play it back (starting with the active menu) just as it would an actual BluRay disc. Just do the following:

1) When you use MakeMKV to make the backup copy, make CERTAIN that there is a checkmark next to "Decrypt"

2) Use (freeware) "IMGBurn" to create the COMPLETE .ISO image file that is perfectly playable without having to resort to any program either running in the background or "phoning home" for a key.

3) Use (freeware) "Virtual Clone" to mount the .ISO image file and unless you've associated ".ISO" with something else, PowerDVD should start automatically and play it as a BluRay disc. (The folks at DVDFab have just released a freeware virtual drive. I've personally not yet checked it out)
Marc_G

Post by Marc_G »

Setarip, you're right on. I did mix up some terms.

Thanks for the details. That will do nicely I'm sure. I'll give it a whirl this weekend.

I'm wondering if Mike has considered adding a "Backup to .Iso" functionality. This would eliminate the need for those of us with crippled players like PowerDVD to use any third party programs such as IMGBurn, as well as make sure that MakeMKV stacks up well in competition against the competition on this feature.

I'd be curious to see how the decrypted backups of T3 and SpiderMan3 BDs work out... neither one of these worked (at the time, at least) via AnyDVDHD. Here's what I would get:
-Physical disc, no AnyDVDHD: Plays fine in PDVD7.3
-Physical disc, with AnyDVDHD running: Fails to play, just stops immediately after starting to play the disc.
-protected .iso mounted in VCD, while AnyDVD was running: fails to play like above.
-decrypted .iso mounted in VCD, either + or - AnyDVD: failed to play

In these two cases, the only way I could generate a copy of any sort that was playable was to use MakeMKV to rip out the movie from either the .iso or physical disc while MakeMKV was running (this was ~9 months ago, MakeMKV couldn't open either disc at the time without AnyDVDHD, but would probably work fine now based on the amazing progress made in the last year).

The interesting point is that for some few movies, the player can detect changes or Anydvdhd tricks and fail to play. If I still owned those discs I'd give MakeMKV's backup a shot and see what I would get. If you have either of them, it might be worth a go.

Thanks again for your aid.

Marc
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

I've used the new FULL disc backup capability (decrypted) of MakeMKV to make fully playable (menus, main movie, extras) versions of the following additional BluRay discs:

Bram Stoker's Dracula

A Clockwork Orange

Did You Hear About the Morgans

The Fourth Kind

Armored

The Lost Boys

Total Recall

Please post your successful FULL disc BluRay backups to this thread
bbman

Re: Please post your success with FULL disc backup

Post by bbman »

I was able to do the full BD disc back up of Goldfinger and the individual M2TS files play fine. MakeMKV creates a MakeMKV folder as part of the back up. Used BD Rebuilder to create a BD-25 compressed disc (I took the MakwMKV folder out of the movie directory when running BDR and did not write it to the BD-25) . The resulting BD-25 does not play on my stand alone BR player or on my PC using PowerDVD8 - when it plays I get a nessage saying that the player does not support plackback of the disc and that the firmware must be updated. I also backed up Goldfinger using AnyDVD and the BD Rebuilder created BD-25 plays fine. Does anybody know if this could be related to the MakeMKV created MakeMKV folder or other issue?
dirio49

Post by dirio49 »

Anydvd versions works because it modifies more files than makemkv does.
Makemkv just removes the encryption, anydvd removes RC coding, and firmware warning ( if you look at your status window)
It has nothing to that is it ripped to a folder.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@bbman

HI!
I was able to do the full BD disc back up of Goldfinger and the individual M2TS files play fine. MakeMKV creates a MakeMKV folder as part of the back up.

1) When you were doing this, did you make CERTAIN to totally turn off and exit AnyDVD?

2) Before compressing with BD-RB, did you mount the MakeMKV full disc backup with Virtual Clone Drive and see if it plays properly?

MilesAhead

Post by MilesAhead »

That's my modus operandi now. I do a full backup with MakeMKV. If I need the subtitle I demux the subtitle stream I need with tsMuxer. The latest BD Rebuilder lets you add avs filters, so now I can burn in the subtitle using VobSub. I set BD Rebuilder to output about a 7.8 GB disc structure in "movie only" mode. Then I rename the .m2ts file and put it on a HD to play on my WD HDTV player. No more need to mess around with OCR or adjusting .srt timings!! Just export idx/sub set using BDSup2Sub and burn them in with BD Rebuider!! No more subs out of sync!!

edit: true I could burn in subs using several other encoders, but BD Rebuilder is about twice as fast. It completes the encode on my old dual core in less than twice the run time of the film. :D
bbman

Post by bbman »

@setarip_old
1) When you were doing this, did you make CERTAIN to totally turn off and exit AnyDVD?

2) Before compressing with BD-RB, did you mount the MakeMKV full disc backup with Virtual Clone Drive and see if it plays properly?
I will go through the process again with AnyDVD disabled and verify that the MakeMKV backup plays with VCD before compressing with BD-R. Thanks for your help.
dirio49

Post by dirio49 »

Just pointing out the obvious, that if you just disable anydvd there is no need to exit the program. Disabling does the trick. ;)

I really dough that was the cause of the error, but we will find out.

Later.
dtblair

Post by dtblair »

I normally select only the main movie when converting to mkv, but more and more, there are various options for the movie: extended cut, alternate ending, etc that I also want to put on server. I don't want make several large titles for each movie, so I've been looking at the full disc backup as an option. MPC-HC and VLC don't supply menu control. What are my options here? Do I have to go the commercial player route (TMT) or maybe mount it as an iso that some player can then give me menus? Currently I have to put in the original disc and watch it on the bluray player if I want to select the stream.
skittle

Post by skittle »

You can use a commercial player that supports bluray, or try a patched version of vlc with the free opensource libbluray patch
bentonkyguy36

Post by bentonkyguy36 »

I'm loving makemkv. I would love if it due full disk backup for dvds like it does for blueray & UHD. Thank you